Why Women Are Treated Second Class In This Organization?

by AvocadoJake 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Well I remember one OC wife saying "He maybe the head but I'm the neck that turns the head!"

Hahaha She cracked me up all the time.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Avocado Jake:

Yes, it is true that women are treated as second-class in the JW religion. However, as far as I was concerned, I had ZERO ambition in the religion and wasn't interested in talks or leading the service group. I wasn't looking for "privileges" and laughed to myself that anybody would even want them.

HOWEVER, I did have a problem when some of these nervy men overstepped their boundaries, which they always try to do with single women. I was not THERE to be bothered by people. I was a guest just like everybody else. I wasn't there so somebody could come up to me and say "would you" or "could you". I wasn't there to be pestered to do favors and I wasn't there to answer nosey and intrusive questions that they would never have the nerve to ask a married woman. So, out of simple self-preservation and necessity, I was basically a private person. It was also my observation that no intelligent woman (or man) went around telling their personal business to everybody.

It seemed that even if I minded my own business, they still saw the need to try to bother me. In some cases, it was curiosity and a sincere desire to be friendly BUT in other cases it was clearly a desire to exploit.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Yes, it is true that women are treated as second-class in the JW religion. However, as far as I was concerned, I had ZERO ambition in the religion and wasn't interested in talks or leading the service group. I wasn't looking for "privileges" and laughed to myself that anybody would even want them.

So glad you said this. With the exception of ambitious women, and the lack of a quality dating pool, women have it good in this organization.

• steve2
    steve2

Be brave and clear-eyed:

The primary reason women are treated as second class citizens in the organization is because that's the way the Bible treats women. The Bible is a fiercely, blood-thirstily patriarchal document reflecting the dreadful harsh prejudices of long-dead men.

Spruce that vicious book up with some modern explanations and presto: Your misogyny smells sweet and reasonable. Imbeciles who take the Bible as the word of God mimic its prejudices; some use blunt language, some sweet. Either way, this so-called "Holy" book is one of the main roots of the oppression of women.

• fresia
    fresia

the society fears women, they look at things in a more compassionate way and this opens up for complaints about unloving brothers, and the way elders treat others, its unity that the society holds most dear, and fear of that unity breaking is real concern, women I have found are better teachers, they are also much more zealous in the field ministry.

notice that most of gossiping articles are always directed at women, dress codes usually always at women. Single women in particular get a bad deal in the org, as they are on the bottom of the pile, so to speak. The society knows there are not enough single brothers for the sisters, but notice that in WT articles, in never says that, it just marry only in the Lord.

The WT is in a lot of trouble there are not enough mature me to take the lead, an women out number them.

Also a lot of brothers have inadequacies and don't like being out shined by a women with more bible knowledge.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

People have been reading their Bible through patriarchal eyes. Paul did not hate women. He names them as church leaders. Paul did not write all the letters attributed to him. The ones scholars are certain he wrote don't have the women put downs. Before reading Paul after college, I wanted to spit on his name b/c of the status of women.

Women were prominent followers of Jesus. His mother played a special role, as did Elizabeth. Mary Magdalene was at the least a very close disciple who supported Jesus financially so he could traipse all over the place. There is not one iota in scripture that Magdalene was a whore.

How does any brother know what Eve thought unless he is channeling EVe?

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Lunatic Faith and my other internet sisters, you might enjoy this PBS piece about Women in the first Century. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/first/women.html

• JAFO
    JAFO
    Band on the Run: Women could completely take over the organization.

Women have more sense than that...

• Heaven
    Heaven

Because it's in the Bible. Ask yourself... Why was the Goddess eliminated?

What I see in the Bible is that some of the writers had sexual issues. Paul was one of them. So everyone's sexuality should be suppressed which is completely unnatural. Instead of treating women with love and passion and desire, you do the opposite. You treat them like shit. That way, they don't want you anymore than you do/do not/do/do not---aaarrgghh!

The less sex you have the more time you have for Field Serve-Us. Now get out there and knock on them doors!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

fresia:

You don't have to tell me that single women are at the bottom of the pile in the religion. This was one of the first clues that this was no brotherhood!

In my opinion, the religion's advice to "marry only in the Lord" when knowing full well that there are not enough brothers is because the religion imagines that these left-over sisters would be available do do favors for all the users in the congregation. Let me tell you - I ran from these nervy people. I saw the handwriting on the wall and knew that most single women's phones don't ring because they are invited somewhere, but because some nervy S.O.B. needs something. Very often you heard about some gathering after the fact. I made peace with this idea that as a single woman they didn't want me around, or were threatened by my figure or brain or whatever. HOWEVER, please don't think you are going to call me when you want something!

This is why whenever some sister marries a guy from outside the religion they like to give talks criticizing it. They know full well that when a woman gets married all the users (elders included) cannot come up to her and bother her.

I am also of the opinion that if the demographics were reversed (more men than women), the religion would have a VASTLY different attitude towards the whole thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit