Thoughts on University Education

by Band on the Run 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Universities were established by the Catholic Church. The European ones are ancient. Judaism provided a robust education, esp. to Hellenized Jews. The church viewed education as the means to more establish the church. The Church Fathers freely quote from Greek and Roman writers. There was a continuity to education. I don't fully understand the Witnesses stance toward religion. Yes, their doctrine is bizarre but mainstream orthodox doctrine can be bizarre. Education should lead to Christ. I don't know that education leads to the Governing Body.

I know that college completely freed me from any lingering belief in the Witnesses. It would be nice to know more about religious beliefs as a sociological phenomena than actual doctrine. I now reside unhappily in a Bible belt. Education is not valued here. It is worshipped in NY.

Does anyone know deeper reasons for the Witness condemnation of education other than the religion collapses with education? I'm astonished at Witness lawyers. Some people can compartmentalize. I feel that there are socio/economic trends underlying their belief. The removal from Brooklyn is sad b/c it isolates them from a multinational culture. Harbor towns seem to be more sophisticated. I don't know how Hitler dealt with education, either. Curious if there are some common themes.

• bohm
    bohm

I think its an excellent question. My personal view is that Rutherford subscribed to a range of pseudo-scientific marginal ideas, and as such established science is an enemy because none of his ideas are taken very seriously.

I think it is the inertia from that time which inform the view on higher education today. But i would like to hear how other with more knowledge of borg history would answer.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I believe the Watchtower is not interested in higher education because they're concerned with, and rightfully so, the spiritual welfare of God's people. This system of things, particulary its commercial element is only concerned with selfish pursuits, such as what you can own, what you wear, what you drive, and other mundane things in life. The world would like us to believe that by pursuing a higher education, it will be easier to attain riches for ourselves, when the reality is all we're doing is creating emnity between us and God. Truely, the Watchtower has chosen the finer course in life by seeking first God's Kingdom, as opposed to seeking the valueless things of intellectuals. As True Christians we follow the example of the Slave Class by disregarding an education with selfish goals in mind. Rather we seek the Divine Education as only found in Jehovah's Organization. As faithful JWs by forgoing a secular education we show that we're more concerned about our future than counterfeit Christians. We're concerned with our everlasting future. Besides in the New System of Things, we'll have eternity in a paradise to learn everything that we'll need to learn, and the best part will be learning all about Jehovah.

• bohm
    bohm

i cant wait for the day where i will learn all about jehovahs digestive system, starting with his mouth and ending with his asshole!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

NRFG: This system of things, particulary its commercial element is only concerned with selfish pursuits, such as what you can own, what you wear, what you drive, and other mundane things in life.

Not just "this system" the GB is very concerned with "what you can own, what you wear, what you drive, and other mundane things in life". No doubt that was your sarcastic, ironic point!

Well done!!

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I remember that the GB around the late 80's printed in the WT, that Advanced Education was OK, as long as you pursued it with plans to be a full-time minister (pioneer).

This backfired on the GB. Then the GB took the words back. Gradually it came out in talks, and subtle points in the articles.

Now, it's very serious and affects the Parents position/standing in the congregation.

Bottom line....Pioneering is dying, Missionary service is dying. The ORG is opening up this service to Retirees, who have worked and can financially support themselves in this work.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

NotRoom for George,

The material impact is a side effect of education. Certainly learning more should only enhance one's service to Jehovah. I give the Witnesses no legitimacy to determine my life. You do. It is a vast chasm. Jehovah created society. The sages of Israel were well educated. Paul was well educated. Character should come first. The WT hires people with expertise. The issue is one of legitimacy. I believe the WTS is evil incarnate. My confirmation sponsor talked about dedicating one's life to God. He said we should give all our knowledge, all our gifts, including music and art, to God. And more.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

I believe the Watchtower is not interested in higher education because they're concerned with, and rightfully so, the spiritual welfare of God's people. This system of things, particulary its commercial element is only concerned with selfish pursuits, such as what you can own, what you wear, what you drive, and other mundane things in life. The world would like us to believe that by pursuing a higher education, it will be easier to attain riches for ourselves, when the reality is all we're doing is creating emnity between us and God. Truely, the Watchtower has chosen the finer course in life by seeking first God's Kingdom, as opposed to seeking the valueless things of intellectuals. As True Christians we follow the example of the Slave Class by disregarding an education with selfish goals in mind. Rather we seek the Divine Education as only found in Jehovah's Organization. As faithful JWs by forgoing a secular education we show that we're more concerned about our future than counterfeit Christians. We're concerned with our everlasting future. Besides in the New System of Things, we'll have eternity in a paradise to learn everything that we'll need to learn, and the best part will be learning all about Jehovah.

Assuming you actually believe this, I don't think I've heard a more narrow-minded, myopic, simplistic, false, selfish and twisted statement in my life. Coming from you (unless you're baiting us), who benefits from all the work people have put into obtaining higher education; benefits we all enjoy... I'm at a loss for words. Here is the problem: you allow the Society to describe to you what life outside the organization is, what you're so-called system of things, is, what reality is, and what motivates people. Do you honestly believe that the only reason people go to college is for commercial gain? That eventually providing for their loved ones can't be a motivating force? That knowledge in itself is a worthy goal? For your information, many "educated" people dedicate themselves to the betterment of mankind, some in pursuit of Christ's mandate. Doctors, engineers, scientists. Are you claiming that history and english majors, those who major in foreign languages, chemists, forestry majors, wildlife biologists, are in it for the quick buck? Not everyone is a busines major.

http://144000.110mb.com/directory/jehovahs_witnesses_beliefs_higher_education_college.html

Here is a fact: people with higher educations quickly and easily see through the Society/Company and by examining it carefully from different sides realize it is a false religion, of the worse kind. It's that simple.

Out of curiosity, how much schooling do you have?

• designs
    designs

Band- doesn't all religion collaspe (eventually) with Education.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Magazine salespeople don't need a college education.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit