Meet The Jehovah's Witness Turned Seven-Foot College Hoops Mystery

by lisaBObeesa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's more than anti education, it's more like anti opportunity, I tell u this religion is just filled with defeatists. Don't do anything to improve your own life or the life of others, this system is going down, so just do nothing. Such idiots. Oh and BTW, when that "wayward son" starts making serious income, The Mom in principle, should not accept anyting from him. Or will she?

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

“People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Don't ever let someone tell you, you can't do something. Not even me.” - Pursuit of Happyness.

Glad the young man is living the dream an pursuing his passion. I love college basketball and will follow his career.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I hope some day, later on, he will be able to read more to unravel any possible lingering JW cultism thoughts. What is sad, many leave the JWs as they decide it is not right for them, but still think it may be true in part or best, but just that they can't do it. As he also seems to be appreciating 'education,' so some day he may read a book or two about the actual 'facts' of the WTS.

• Gayle
    Gayle

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/ncaab.video/2011/11/09/110911.Dedmon_faith_dewayne.SportsIllustrated/index.html

He is also on Facebook,,I just sent a message of encouragement on FB wishing him the best!!

• carla
    carla

I like that this quote made it in to the article

"His whole life, his mother had been his world and the church his guide. The instructions were clear. "Avoid independent thinking," it said in a 1983 Watchtower magazine, and "questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization."

I wonder if the average reader will understand how profound that wt doctrine really is in the life of a jw?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

BTTT as I just became aware of this story.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/314297

reports that Dedmon is now a 22-year old redshirt sophomore at USC. But when Dedmon was at Lancaster High, he was mystery of sorts to his school mates. Not yet 18, but already over 6 feet 5 inches, his schoolmates pestered him, wanting to know why he wasn't playing basketball. He seemed to them made in heaven for the game. Too often, Dedmon was embarrassed to tell the truth. He just walked off. But when he did, he would only say, "I just don't."

The truth, however, was that his mother did not allow him. She had better plans for her gangling athletic son, and that was ensuring he makes it to the "new world" after Armageddon destruction of this "wicked system of things." She took the boy to the local Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witness regularly and did everything she could to smother his interest in the game. But Dedmon wanted to play basketball. On a number of occasions, he tried to make the high school team. But each time he dropped out, telling his coach with tears in his eyes: "I can't do it...My mom won't let me." But finally at 18, the boy, now a man, took a decision of his own. He went to his mother and said in a final tone: "Mom, I still want to play basketball. You know where I stand on this." CNN reports that initially, his mother challenged him. She called the Kingdom Hall elders who told him basketball would take him away from the Truth he had been learning from his childhood, and that might mean God's judgment at Armageddon. But the young man had made up his mind. He could serve both God and basketball. Then, for the first time, at 18, 6 feet 8 inches and 190 pounds, the gangling athletic youth began learning the basic drills of basketball his mates his had known for years. But Dedmond, it seems, still holds on to Jehovah's Witnesses teaching.CNN reports he says he will not accept blood transfusion. But he admits playing basketball has drawn him away from the faith: "I'm just not so much into it. Since basketball came...I didn't have to be completely immersed [in church]." His mother, Gail Lewis, continues hoping he will not become an apostate, like several other famous Jehovah's Witnesses who allowed fame and fortune lure them away from the path of "Truth." Gail Lewis is sure Dedmon's decision to take up the game will make him stray from the narrow path of "Truth that leads to Eternal Life." She says, "It would be kind of difficult, because you can't serve two masters. He would probably have to make a decision within himself. He thought he could do both, but obviously you can't." Gail Lewis says she said to her son, whom she thinks is like the prodigal son, "You turned away from [your faith], but I'm gonna pray until you come back...I'm not gonna stop praying until you return." I've got so many friends I came up with that never pursued sports or education because of this religion, and every one of them is disgruntled and resentful, including myself. It's crazy.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow, when you see the story in print, it screams CULT!!!!

Won't be using this kid on any circuit Assy parts about giving up sports for the ministry! Good for him.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even if Dewayne has a lousy career as a basketball player, even if he breaks a hip or something worse before ever getting to be on an NBA team, he's already way ahead of the game for JW's.

If he followed his mom's and his elders' path for him, he would have his minimum wage job and he would be recruiting for WTS.

He's had a free ride to college because of his hard work toward basketball and he's learned that he can think.

I will root for this guy now that I know who he WAS.

• steve2
    steve2

Let's hope his mother doesn't deviously hook him in with a death-bed request at some future stage. Apparently Prince was an inactive witness until he sat with is dying mother. Before she died, she made him promise he would return to "the Truth" and, as she died, he was "reborn" a witness. THis illustrate that decisions for religion are seldom driven by reasoning but are more likely the product of pressure and emotional blackmail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit