Both the October 1 & November 1 Watchtowers avoid discussing the 2,520 years!!!

by Alfred 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alfred
    Alfred

Did anyone else notice this?

The "When was Jerusalem Destroyed?" articles in the October 2011 and November 2011 Public Edition Watchtowers were supposed to explain why it was so important to know when Jerusalem was destroyed... But none of the two articles makes any mention about how the WT arrived at the 2,520 year calculation (to get to 1914)... Did they think no one would notice??? I mean really... that's practically the other half of their 607-1914 doctrine and they choose to sweep it under the rug?

Maybe they're just too embarrassed to mention the following...

In 1823, John Aquila Brown played with the idea that a "time" (in Daniel 4) could possibly be the same as a "prophetic year" equalling 360 days and then further assumed that "7 times" could actually be 7 prophetic years (equalling a total of 2,520 days). But, inexplicably, he also assumed that he could simply multiply these 2,520 days by ordinary years of 365 days each.... huh?

In 1844, Edward B Elliott agreed with these ridiculous assumptions and further assumed that these 2,520 years (of 365 days each) are actually the "appointed times of the nations" mentioned in Luke 21:24 and would span from 606 BCE to 1914.

In 1849, Robert Seeley also agreed with these ridiculous assumptions and decided to jump on the "dooms-day" band-wagon as well.

In 1875, Adventist Nelson Barbour became convinced of this as well and even had discussions with Charles Taze Russell about this "intriguing" chronology on a number of occasions. In doing so, Both Barbour and Russell completely ignored Acts 1:7...

In 1876, having been convinced by Nelson Barbour, Russell decides to put his own "twist" on things and drags the Great Pyramid of Egypt into this already flawed chronology, claiming that a certain internal passageway was 1,914 "pyramid inches" long... wtf?

When 1914 failed to produce Armageddon, the Adventists and all other "dooms-dayers" of that time dropped the subject (of the 7 times of the Gentiles), but Russell simply couldn't face embarrassment and began making up excuses from thin air...

I believe that's the gyst of it... I'm working off memory here, so if I missed something, please do correct me... the floor is yours...

Thanks

Alfred

• sabastious
    sabastious

The new 607 articles are not meant to be read, but merely to exist.

-Sab

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Oh yeah, I definitely noticed it. Really, it doesn't matter when Jerusalem was destroyed. Well, unless you are an end-times religion bent on using 1914 to mark the return of Jesus. Then you have to justify it somehow.

I would encourage any newbies or lurkers to google "2,520 years" You will find a bunch of nut-job end-time religionists who have also borrowed from this Adventist mindset to make up their own prophecies.

When you get down to it, the leaders of the WTS are just a bunch of copycats.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Yes, I noticed that neither magazine (not just the two articles) makes any mention at all of 1914.

I've provided a brief overview of the problems with the two articles here, with links to additional information.

• Alfred
    Alfred

Jeffro... great stuff on your blog! thanks!

• sir82
    sir82

What Sabastious said.

These articles exist exclusively so that in the future, when any JW writes to the Society with questions about 607/587 BCE, the Society will send a form letter back telling them to read the 10/1/11 and 11/1/11 WT articles and then get back to preaching.

I.e., these articles exist to make life for the Society easier - that's all.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    These articles exist exclusively so that in the future, when any JW writes to the Society with questions about 607/587 BCE, the Society will send a form letter back telling them to read the 10/1/11 and 11/1/11 WT articles and then get back to preaching.

I.e., these articles exist to make life for the Society easier - that's all.

The articles are very easily dismissed. There will be some JWs for whom these new articles will act as a catalyst for their escape. However, most members are either too scared or too gullible to question whatever dishonest claptrap comes from the Society.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Most JWs don't bother reading the "public" edition of the magazine. They don't even read the extra articles in the kool-aid edition.

• JWB
    JWB

"this is the interpretation, O king, and the decree of the Most High is that which must befall my lord the king" - Daniel 4:24. So then the prophecy was fulfilled in King Nebuchadnezzar, in his lifetime. It's so simple when you actually read what the Bible says! No second fulfillments, no worries about arguing over dates, just accept what Daniel tells you. Unless of course you want to "go beyond the things that are written" and employ some man-made theological device to 'prove' that somehow it all has a major application to the modern day.

• steve2
    steve2
    Most JWs don't bother reading the "public" edition of the magazine. They don't even read the extra articles in the kool-aid edition.

That is actually so very true. The Watchtower knows it can print these once-over-lightly articles and the rank and file won't bat an eyelid. Very very few JWs have the inclination to read anything at a deeper than superficial level. Increasingly, they have become the very "type" of 'nominal church members' earlier generations of JWs had criticized Christendom's membership for being. When it comes to modern JWs, apathy wins over apostasy every time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit