Are JW's allowed to be bartenders?

by stillstuckcruz 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

My brother(MS) just got a job at a hotel and mentioned to my mother that they may train him to be a bartender. She said that we(JW's) are not allowed to do so. Is this in any of the publications? I tried finding infomation using different phrases in the WT library CD, but found nothing. It's interesting because at my job I serve beer but thats all. I'm just wondering why bartending is not allowed.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

If he also serves cigarettes, besides alcohol, then by JW standards that is a non-kosher job. If he works in a place where he can do passive smoking, also non-kosher.

• Think About It
    Think About It

JW's are a stupid cult. Did Jesus not make wine at a wedding and was it not "served" to the guests?

Think About It

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

No there is nothing in the literture prohibits it. But there are jobs that dont mesh with the JW life style. I was offered a job as a limo driver but the older ones told me it was not a good idea. What about a job as a bouncer? I dont think so.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I've known quite a few JW's who do bar work.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I OWN a bar and restaurant. I was never in any trouble...

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I was offered a job as a limo driver but the older ones told me it was not a good idea.

Who were you driving the limo for? A gang of bank robbers? If not, the older ones were probably making up their own rules.

(Watchtower 10-1-1972, Article: Your Conscience and Your Employment, par.3)

"3 As a simple illustration, serving as a chauffeur and driving an automobile is in itself proper employment. But how could a person professing to be a Christian serve as chauffeur for a gang of bank robbers? Or how could a Christian let himself be identified with a house of prostitution by serving as its doorman or maid?"

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

But how could a person professing to be a Christian serve as chauffeur for a gang of bank robbers?

^LOL!!! I have never seen that before. How many people would ACTUALLY get involved whatsoever with a gang of bank robbers. Even by "worldy" standards, thats a terrible situation

• james_woods
    james_woods

"3 As a simple illustration, serving as a chauffeur and driving an automobile is in itself proper employment. But how could a person professing to be a Christian serve as chauffeur for a gang of bank robbers? Or how could a Christian let himself be identified with a house of prostitution by serving as its doorman or maid?"

Good LORD - these people think their followers are more idiotic than Beavis and Butthead, and think nothing of talking to them as if they were writing Sesame Street.

Back on topic - as always with the JWs - it would entireley depend on the local BOE as this seems to be untouched as a WT published topic.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

8/15/1978 Watchtower, page 29

To remain a pioneer I found it necessary to do numerous types of part-time work. Just to name a few, at various times I was a painter, dishwasher, bartender, cook, janitor, share cropper, bricklayer’s assistant, and an office boy. I even did time as a one-legged ditch digger, which my family still laughs about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit