Are Jehovah's Witnesses considered a Catholic schism?

by sabastious 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

I was reading through this article: http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/thechurch.html

and saw this:

1822: Mormons founded by Joseph Smith, who made his appearance with supposed revelations in 1822.

1872: The Jehovah's Witness Church was developed by Charles Russell.

1879: Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy began the Christian Scientist religion basing it upon an outright denial of Original Sin and its effects.

Do Catholics consider the Watchtower to be a schism created by Charles Taze Russell?

-Sab

• JRK
    JRK

Maybe a schism from the Millerite and Adventist movements.

JK

• designs
    designs

Under Russell all congregations were autonomous, it was under Rutherford that the Watchtower began to resemble Catholicism and the College of Cardinals and also the Presbyterians with their General Assembly.

• ziddina
    ziddina

As JRK said, they're actually an offshoot of the Adventist movements...

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Yeah, it all ties into the millerites. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_c-PdT0SsE

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Russell was raised a Presbyterian, turned athiest, then joined the Adventists. So I guess all those groups can claim him as their own, and that his is one of their apostates.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Catholics see everyone that is not Catholic to be branched off from them as the original church.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Since all Christian denominations use a holy book derived from what the Roman Catholic Church put together in the First Council of Nicaea, then I guess that would make them all schisms of Catholicism, right?

-Sab

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thats what I reakon...they are all working off the same selected books of the bible...give or take a few.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I could be wrong but I am not certain Rome was crucial in the Council of Nicea. The emperor, yes. My understanding is that the Bishop of Rome was considered the first among equal. Most early Church fathers seem to come from outside Rome. Rome was much like NYC and DC, combined. It was important but not determinative. When I reach, certain ancient cities bishops seem even more important. Maybe it depended on the particular bishop and not the geographic location.

Rome became more important over time. Once unity was demanded by political figures, Rome became more dominant. The problem I see with explanations is the split between Catholics and Protestants colors the discussion. The evidence prob. cuts both ways. Catholics are certain Peter was the first pope. Others aren't certain Peter ever was in Rome. One thing is clear to me. No one was documenting this history or the records were lost.

I visited the catacombs under the Vatican. Early Christians were definitely there in a strong community. The contrast between the cathecombs which are not ad hoc burial places but rather crude nevertheless and the splendor upstairs in St. Peter's Basicila is striking.

I'd say Millerism and Adventists. Wikipedia discusses this. Witnesses and the groups from which they sprang believe the thousand year reign of Christ is very imminent and that they are restoring the only authentic version of Christianity. Christianity has not been authentic since almost the death and resurrection of Christ. I never noted a definite date when Christianity became fraudulent according to the Witnesses. I find it amazing that God would let humans live for countless generations without any guidance.

I keep forgetting the details for Miller. Sometime in the 1800s he predicted the end of the world. I've read accounts of what happened. Masses of people would ascend a mountain, selling all their posessions. Young children would be terrified of the end. Elation mounted up to midnight. (Can Christ only come at midnight?) The full day passed with no Christ. People were financially and emotionally destitute. He corrected his figures more times. No Christ. I don't know what innovations Russell made. Maybe none. He was wealthy and perhaps he just popularized it. My mom's family was active in Russell's time, She was a child. Rutherford was the one who truly created the Witnesses. Independent thinking was allowed among the Bible students.

I saw Russell era lit with my own eyes. It is full of occult symbols and crosses.

Hopefully, someone can explain. There are schisms within the Russell groups. Splinter groups emerged from the JWs. There is so much interesting history and we never learn it at the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit