An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The difficulty for me always comes back to what God would ‘be’ if he existed. The Bible shows him to be a vengeful and judgemental bully. His son, it seems, was a more lay back guy with a penchant for sandals and casual clothes, who talked about love and peace man; the original hippy, minus the camper van.

I cannot conceive of an all powerful God being like either of them. Firstly God would have to be an ‘it’ as sex is confined to those in possession of a physical body with a need to reproduce. An invisible power pervading the universe and aware of what was happening throughout the millions of light years of space, in every part of every galaxy, is beyond our comprehension. That is why God is usually explained in human terms. To an eternal God the existence of the human race would amount to a few seconds in time be as important as bacteria on a fly’s legs. As it is I don’t believe in a personal God that is accountable to humans. Whatever there may be out there is unknowable in human terms. It’s out of this world!

So all this talk about what God thinks, feels, who he talks to, who is not worthy, will he end suffering and if not why not? Whether he inspired a book to be written once upon a time is in the realms children’s stories compared to the reality that we as surface dwelling humans have to make the best of our world. The planet is what it is. Suffering has always taken place and always will until the sun burns out.

It’s a cruel world and we all need a little comfort. If believing Jesus lived and still lives and is a cool guy, helps people be loving and kind and have hope, I personally have no problem with it.

N.drew I am unable to make sense of your posts or think of a reply without my head hurting - but you sound like a hell of a lot of fun!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Shelby, that was a bit insulting. Read it over again and see how you addressed people. Just my thoughts.

Forgive, me, please, dear NC (the greatest of love and peace to you!), but I'm not sure "what" you're referring to, specifically. If it was my response to you, then I apologize; however, I must ask you to re-read what I posted, if you would be so kind... and not inflect any "tones" or other negativity that was not present. I have nothing but the utmost regard for you, so would have never posted in a manner TO insult you. Nor do I WISH to insult anyone else.

I can, however, understand that the manner in which I [must] respond sometimes may be considered insulting. Unfortunately, I am human and so often act "human." I don't recall reading anywhere that christians are immune from insulting others, though (although they should try not to)... nor that atheists hold the market on being so. I do try to keep my insulting conduct to a minimum, though... in an effort to TRY and be as my Lord is teaching me. Admittedly, I sometimes fail... utterly. In that case, I would only ask that those who feel insulted overlook and forgive me... as I frequently do them.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

And are you calling me delusional?

"We hold these truths to be self evident..."

• watersprout
    watersprout

This thread = Car crash

It's just going round and round and round in circles. In fact it's making me dizzy.

Peace

• poopsiecakes
  • undercover
    undercover

Arguing with theists is like arguing with JWs. No amount of logic or reason is going to get through. They believe because they want to. They can't "prove" anything, so they have to rely on speculation, intrepretation, feelings and delusions that god actually speaks to them.

• undercover
    undercover

of more importance...

*pokes* Poopsie

• poopsiecakes
  • watersprout
    watersprout
    Arguing with theists is like arguing with JWs.

Yeah that's totally the same!

Why are you soo concerned as to whether any ''logic or reasoning'' is going to get through. I do not spend my time trying to convert you atheists. I don't two hoots what you believe.

• tec
    tec

Hi Gladiator!

I cannot conceive of an all powerful God being like either of them.

As the tyrant or the hippy, you mean? No, I don't get those images from them either. Loving, peaceful, forgiving, merciful, just, teaching... yes. A tyrant doesn't have those qualities. As for a hippy, I tend to think of this: that if someone was 'in their face', they would be ...'its all cool, man... chill... live and let live, right, dude..." (Maybe that's just a stoner, though. ) But Christ wasn't like that either. He was not afraid to speak the truth, no matter what that brought for him, or even if it made people uncomfortable or angry. We can't get rid of lies unless we know the truth, and face those lies.

Firstly God would have to be an ‘it’ as sex is confined to those in possession of a physical body with a need to reproduce.

Or an hermaphrodite (that's both genders, right?). But no 'parts' so to speak, I agree. Just both male and female attibutes, as we think of them.

An invisible power pervading the universe and aware of what was happening throughout the millions of light years of space, in every part of every galaxy, is beyond our comprehension. That is why God is usually explained in human terms. To an eternal God the existence of the human race would amount to a few seconds in time be as important as bacteria on a fly’s legs. As it is I don’t believe in a personal God that is accountable to humans. Whatever there may be out there is unknowable in human terms. It’s out of this world!

I understand this, from your pov. From my pov, if God is the Father of Christ (as I believe), then it is possible to know him. By knowing His Son. But I know, by the rest of your words, that you understand and respect my pov as well.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit