No part of the world

by irondork 15 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

irondork -- i really appreciate your post/subject. it is very difficult and the Bible admonishes to have no association with those in darkness or evil people (but evil is different from those who are self-destructive/ignorant of God's laws) and i've heard preachers (tv/radio) give advice as makshym as well as running from worldly people -- go figure!! i never could understand the watchtowers' rule knowing those inside (for the most part) weren't any better than those in the world. i'm confused myself. i agree w/maksym, be a light/love in the world and this is easier said than done (guess this is where the torture stake comes in and to love our enemies).

there are people in the world and watchtower who don't abuse themselves with smoking, drinking/drugging, etc., but are abusive/evil to others. i hear acquaintances in volunteer/charity groups express how difficult it is -- yrs. doing charity work and never really becoming good friends, having good association, w/others. there's a book called "Safe People" that has some good advice/guidelines that might help.

someone mentioned meetup groups (find an interest) and i think this is great advice. i don't think ex-jw meetup groups are available in all cities but there are a variety of others --- Bible study groups and even co-ed groups organized under 12-step formats called something like "healthy relationships" you might look into.

LV101

• irondork
    irondork

Irondork: followers of Christ are being held to a higher standard than the rest of the world.

edit: Christ is asking his followers to hold themselves to a higher standard.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have been sorely disappointed by the majority of people I have come across since I left the Society. However, their problems are always solvable as they just lack the ability to see their life for what it truly is to make the needed changes. I have, although, at the same time found enough truly amazing souls that make everything worth saving, imo.

-Sab

• nugget
    nugget

The world is a big place and there are billions of people out there many who share your point of view and would make good friends. It is not easy and it is a case of putting yourself out there and finding them. This can be hard work and a slow process but so is mining for gold. You don't need hundreds just a few really good supportive people that are there for you.

Clubs, support groups, courses and activities are all ways of getting to know new people as are volunteering. If you have a tiring job it can be difficult to muster up the energy but it can be worthwhile.

• red21
    red21

No offense but how much of a friend were the JWs to you anyway? I know they were barely friends to me? The friendships were very shallow. Families tend to stick together and maybe a few friends, but I have found most congregations to be sadly lacking in overall hospitality. How many times do you hear these talks? How many times I have seen them struggle to get enough meals for a C/O. When I stopped going to the hall, other than a few elders stopping by, no one called. After all the complements I would get on my family and talks, no one called. So, really...are they such great friends? I have seen people in the world have better, more lasting friendships than I after spending nearly 40 years wtih what is suppose to be the most loving loyal organization on earth?? really????

• LV101
    LV101

red21 --- RIGHT ON!!! i agree w/everything you say. i tried so hard to have minimal contact w/my lifetime/worldly friends and social friends other than w/my social life w/husband --- OMG!!! brainwashed myself, bla, bla, but could not believe the gossip, envy, conniving inside those halls. people were animals unless they wanted something. sure, there are exceptions w/those in the cliches (power families and their entourage), and there are many who remain members because of their social circle, but it was sick --- worse than the worldly people! all show business in the hall (for the most part w/bad acting) but in the world we can be selective and have an opportunity to meet genuine people. i'm not saying it's easy, but they are out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit