Things that made you cringe at "the meetings"

by i_drank_the_wine 47 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Dario said:

beating off

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Confession I was the emotional commenter. It was never for show it just happened.

As to what made me cringe was sweeping generalizations about the world or when they would be insulting in regards to outsiders from the platform. I hated asking new people to the meeting for fear of them being offended.

• d
    d

Those arrogant comments that people would make about how bad the world is.

• kazar
    kazar

The terms "brother" or "sister".

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

He only really got like two other people to follow him in applause, (probably waking up to the sound and joining in without knowing what was going on) but the whole congregation was like "WTF?"

That's a good one Fade Away.

Used to cringe when the schizo's used to call out and interrupt the meeting with their own thoughts and comments, however, one sicko elder thought it might be encouraging to throw one of the schizo's who was an unbaptized, unmarried sister of one of the Brothers in the Cong a baby shower when she got pregnant . . go figure.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I didn´t cringe too much. Just remember one time the brother said the offer for the month was Does God care about us? Oh, I´m sorry...The brocheure is entitled Does God REALLY care about us? And my father said out loud....Does God REALLY REALLY care about us? I was in stitches!

Or when the brother would point out a picture of Cain looking very angry and he said Who does that remind of us today? Of course dear old Dad says...My Ex wife! Had the place rolling. He was never counseled for that either.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Early on... the misquoted/misstated/mistranslated/mistransliterated/misapplied by the speaker verses, dear IDTW (peace to you!). During, the way some looked at/treated others (some, their own children). Toward the "end"... everything.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

"My Ex wife". Lol. Classic.

Hearing the kids say "mommy, no, I'm sorry" as they were dragged off to get spanked just becuase they got a little whiny or restless.

Crying comments, often VERY phony ones.

And once I was at a funeral at the hall (ok, not a meeting, but still) and two young brothers were loudly joking, after the memorial talk for the person, about a stupid movie. I thought it was very cold and rude.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The beatings, the lousy foster mothers with no supervision over the boys they took every opportunity to declare not their own. ANYTHING about the subjugation of women. When I was younger, I could just endure. The more I could understand, I would get revved up and want to beat people up. Comments by children drive me crazy, even in my present church. Sunday School is set up. Let them have fun and keep their silly comments to themselves. They are only silly when teaching an experienced adult. It is adorable in Sunday School.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    one sicko elder thought it might be encouraging to throw one of the schizo's who was an unbaptized, unmarried sister of one of the Brothers in the Cong a baby shower when she got pregnant . . go figure.

Hmm, ok, what's wrong with that? Girls get pregnant every day. She would have needed the things she would receive in a baby shower. Is the fact that she had a mental illness a problem for you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit