Witnessing to the JW's on my Online Baby Forum

by AwSnap 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I did not expect myself to do this, as I usually just stay quiet and mind my own business unless someone approaches me about jw's. As many of you know, I had a baby a few months ago. On BabyCenterCommunity, a woman titled a thread "I don't believe in Halloween". She never specified whether she is a jw or not, but HOLY MOSES!- a TON of jw's piped in to offer their support. One JW wrote the longest response of all time. What's funny (NOT) is that, what she wrote was VERBATUM what we were all trained to say. You know what I'm talking about: "I was NEVER deprived. We ALWAYS had celebrations in our home. We didn't wait for a special day to play dress-up or to receive presents. My parents bought me presents throughout the year. ALLLLL THE TIME (yada yada yada)"

Well, that was the last straw for me. I thought, Why the heck would a jw post something like this on a WORLDLY site, trying to get support for her views on not wanting her husband to take their new daughter trick or treating? I realized that she was probably just phishing for other jw's to come out of the wood work to offer their support.

After a few mild comments from me, I just posted for people to check out: www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/wrong-with-being-jehovahs-witness.php I said: If you were going to buy a new car, would you ONLY trust what the car dealer was telling you? No, you would check out Carfax and Consumer Reports, right? Even if these had some negative things to say about the car you wanted, at least you'd be able to make an informed and educated decision.

I also expressed to the current jw's that I know it's really scary, but they are welcome to pm me on that board and I'd keep my answers as upfront as possible. I promised not to be a sneaky, conniving "A".

lol....I feel good for what I did. Maybe I'll become the next Tim Murry or Randy. LOL

• poppers
    poppers

Well done, AwSnap.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

awesome

• zoiks
    zoiks

I'm pretty sure there was a KM article about staying away from online baby forums.

Well done

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

WOW. I hated babycenter. Too mainstream for me. I was a mothering.com girl.

Good work, though. I hope someone PMs you!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Excellent! Well done you.

Loz x

• LV101
    LV101

Way to go! you will save any potential recruits from the cult with your wisdom/knowledge and history --- this will be interesting, and hope you keep us posted. Proof of progress in the world for mankind thanks to the internet.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There are other fundies who don't celebrate Halloween too.

Some of them provide Halloween Hell Houses instead of haunted houses, with the intent of pointing out the evils of Halloween and the entire world.

Typical scenes are:

* A phoney reenactment of the murder of Cassie Bernall, a teenager victim at the Columbine High School in 1999-APR. She was allegedly asked whether she believed in God, answered yes, and was murdered on the spot. The incident never happened. But the story has taken on a life of its own. She is frequently referred to in conservative Christian magazines, books, and radio programs as a Christian martyr.

* A person being sacrificed during a Satanic ritual. The Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) web site warned of Wiccan rituals and stated "... evidence persists that some Satanists and voodoo groups offer sacrifices -- usual animals, but, possibly, human babies" at this time. Satanic Ritual Abuse was a widespread hoax that was commonly believed during the 1980s and early 1990s. 1

* Women undergoing very bloody late-term abortions, complete with screaming, lots of blood, and particularly insensitive, uncaring health providers. Some of these scenes have been partly abandoned in recent years in favor of a portrayal of guilt and depression arising from Post Abortion Syndrome.

* Gays and lesbians being tortured in hell for all eternity because of their same-sex behavior while they were alive on earth.

* The dangers of "dabbling" in the occult and becoming demon possessed.

* Personal tragedies arising from pre-marital sex.

* Disastrous tragedies and loss of life resulting from drunk driving.

* A man having an argument with his wife and is later seduced by his secretary.

* Witches pressuring a depressed teen to murder his fellow students.

* A 9/11 ground zero scene.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Yeah, Rebel, there were quite a few women who chimed in that were clearly not JW's & who didn't observe Halloween. They said the mother

should substitute Disney costumes instead, or go to a Harvest Festival (stuff your average jw wouldn't say). But there were a TON of jw's who chimed

in, stating that they are jw's who are so proud to be individuals and never felt deprived. Ever.

• JustThatGirl007
    JustThatGirl007

I had a conversation with my non-JW aunt today and she used the word "deprived" when she talked about us kids growing up as JWs. So true, really. But I was just programmed to tell people, "Oh, we're not deprived! Our parents buy us stuff any of time of year! And they always do big stuff for their anniversary!"

Yeah. Uh-huh. They did anniversary ONCE A YEAR, nothing more. Many of my friends got the same.

Graduation parties were another opportunity for gift giving, but that's what? Once a lifetime? :P (3 times, tops... around here they do 5th grade graduations, 8th grade, and senior.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit