Oct 15 WT life story of Fred Rusk beating children to attend church not a good idea?

by life is to short 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was just flipping through the Oct 15 witness only WT about Fred Rusk as someone on this board had posted about it.

One point that really caught my attention was when Fred was talking about being raised by his aunts and how they forced him to attend the Baptists church. He says in his own words "Grandfather's older daughters managed the household. Although he was not a religious man, his daughters were strict Southern Baptists. Under threat of a beating, I was forced to attend church every Sunday. So from an early age, I had little regard for religion. I did however, enjoy school and sports.

I was just blown away. Is this not precisely what JW parents are supposed to do to their children? Force them to attend the meetings and when they are toddlers to beat them for not setting still. And is this not how some of the children react just the same as Fred Rusk did with the Baptists by having little regard for the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses because of being forced to attend and beat if they did not want to? And then when a child gets older when they decide not to be a JW then they get shunned.

Fred made out that his family was so horrible to him and his one aunt who also because a JW by saying that it was what Jesus foretold, "namely: "A man's enemies will be persons of his own household." (Matt 10:34-36)

Fred did not like Southern Baptists for some reason as a child yet if he had been raised a JW and did not like them for being beat when he could not sit still because he was just a child he would have also had family opposition and been thrown out also like the July 15 th WT tells parents to do.

They talk out of both sides of their mouths all the time don't they? By the way Fred is the overseer of the Writing Correspondence department now.

Also what was with the point that he like school sports? Again such hypocrisy.

LITS

• irondork
    irondork

Also what was with the point that he like school sports? Again such hypocrisy.

Well, now... he was a worldly Baptist child when he liked sports, not a proper JW child.

• designs
    designs

Weekends are for sports, get your chores done and then head to the park or beach. Putting our kids in dressup cloths on Saturday mornings to go peddle Watchtowers and Awakes..yea gads what were we thinking.

• life is to short
    life is to short

designs

I totally agree. But with someone in Fred Rusk position even says that he hated it when the Baptist did it to him yet all these years he has promoted through the JW religion.

With his being the overseer of the Writing Correspondence department he would be on the front lines of receiving letters from normal JW's. He no doubt is very aware of me and my feelings on child molesters in the hall. Yet what has been done to protect children.

He can slam the Baptist's but there are four fingers pointing right back at him.

LITS

• cult classic
    cult classic
    LITS - Also what was with the point that he like school sports? Again such hypocrisy

That's what I was wondering.

Irondork/Designs - Oh I get it... JW logic... Where's my head?

Still stupid comment though...lol

• Gayle
    Gayle

How old is Fred Rusk now? He seemed old back in the early 70s to me. Didn't seem like a sports kind of guy at all either.

• Room 215
    Room 215

one creepy dude, if I remember correctly; didn't look like he had any blood in his veins.

• booby
    booby

Yup. He had little regard for religion at an early age but for some reason by the ripe old age of 15 could be interested in - wait for it - religion. I am constantly amazed as I read these "stories" and that is what they are, just stories, that I at one time read them and was impressed. Now, without the blinders on, they are just so silly. How many at this age can remember details like he relates. I know some remember quite well early life, but most like myself remember fragmented bits of "stuff" from early life. Anyway, his memories are tainted by who he became and he sees and remembers what he wants to. And isn't he and his dear wife so privileged to have a home and are cared for while so many others without the same standing are sent home when illness and old age make them less useful at BETHELL.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Gayle Fred is 85 years old now and looks really old from his picture. booby you are so right he gets to stay and be taken care of while others are thrown out.

LITS

• garyneal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit