My trouble

by bushido8000 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome.

You can see by my name that at one time I felt the same way as you do now.

My family left because of the horrible way my-at the time-sixteen year old daughter was treated by a Judicial Committee that sought to berate and humiliate her, accused her of things she did not do, and disfellowshipped her. I found this forum, and began reading. Soon, I found out more about things that had bothered me but that I had sought to push to the back of my mind-the generation teaching was the biggest one. First, they were the ones that were at an age of understanding in 1914, then, those that were born before 1914. Next, the generation was the contemporaries that did not accept Jesus' return. Now, they are an "overlapping generation" that again began in 1914.

Finally, it hit me. I had spent over thirty years trying to force my mind to accept some pretting implausable things just because the WTS pronounced it so. I had forgone an education so that I could financially struggle to get by doing cleaning jobs, and others that paid little and were exhausting.

My daughter, my husband, and I went through a major depression when we left. Thankfully, my daughter never gave up on her education, and will graduate from college with a degree in Biology in December. At 59 years old, I am in college, and loving every minute of it. I still must work full-time at a low-paying job, so won't graduate until year after next if my brain holds together.

You may not be able to go back and get on the football team, but you are young enough to pursue other things that are worthwhile. Please develop some goals...especially as regards education. You will never regret learning..it will open up many opportunities, and is just freeing to the mind!

• cedars
    cedars

bushido8000 - it seems that you are at a crossroads in your life, and being so young, you really do have your life ahead of you. It would be good to make the right decision now. I am 32, 10 years down 'the road' from you, and although there were many benefits to my being involved in the organisation over the past 10 years (including meeting my lovely wife), that does not take away from the many negatives that come with the organisation. You also need to think not just of yourself, but of future generations that will follow you.

I have ONE piece of advice for you, and that is this. Please PLEASE read the book "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz. If you go to www.scribd.com and type in "crisis of conscience" you can read it for free in PDF format. It is NOT the kind of "apostate poison" that you might expect. If you are dubious, just read the foreword to the book, and ask yourself "was this written by a bitter man with an axe to grind against the organisation he left behind?". You will find that it isn't like that at all. Ray Franz was a former member of the Governing Body and saw for himself how the organisation operates from the very top. You WILL find it eye-opening, and it may even shock you, but it is important that you take your next few steps carefully and with as much information at your disposal as possible, because the decision you make will impact not only on your life, but the life of your children and maybe even your grandchildren.

If you need any more advice, please PM me and I would be only too pleased to help in any way I can. I am a former MTS graduate, so I know alot about the organisation, both positive and negative.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Finally, it hit me. I had spent over thirty years trying to force my mind to accept some pretting implausable things just because the WTS pronounced it so. I had forgone an education so that I could financially struggle to get by doing cleaning jobs, and others that paid little and were exhausting.

My daughter, my husband, and I went through a major depression when we left. Thankfully, my daughter never gave up on her education, and will graduate from college with a degree in Biology in December. At 59 years old, I am in college, and loving every minute of it. I still must work full-time at a low-paying job, so won't graduate until year after next if my brain holds together.

QUANDRY, your experience is inspiring. Hopefully it will help Bushido see that, att 22 years old, he has LOTS of time to pursue a fulfilling, rewarding life. I applaud your deetermination, tenacity, and drive at 59!

DOC

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I was going to recommend that you read Crisis of Conscience, but I see that has already been offered. Consider this an endorsement. As you cherish your Christianity I might also suggest you read Franz' sequel, In Search of Christian Freedom in which he shows the way to be true to your core beliefs and values without the artificial restraints of organised religion. All the best on your journey.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

I'm glad you found your way here. You still have most of your life ahead of you. So now is the best time to ask questions. Then thoroughly research the answers. The library, the internet can be a wealth of information. Many posters on here have seen the organization from the inside out, serving as elders, pioneers, and more. My husband, TotallyADD served as an elder for more than 20 years. I was a regular pioneer. Together we raised our 2 boys in the organization. Post any question here that you can think of and someone will answer or you can PM one of us if you want a more private answer. We are here to help.

Reopened Mind

• Perry
    Perry
    "I have always had a great love for Jehovah"

Really? If you REALLY loved Jehovah you would obediently listen to his Son and do as he commanded.....like accept the new covenant and not reject it at each memorial. This command is still in effect since Jesus has never changed it.

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel

unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. Gal. 1: 8

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

You are a good person, trapped in a religion cult and it's the only thing you've known from birth. I hope you find the courage to continue your questions and that your own research will find you out.

Welcome,

Skeeter

• cskyjw.sun
  • Quandry
    Quandry

Just wanted to thank you, desirous of change. We can make a change, and we can make a difference! Go for it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit