A chance encounter that proved how much I've grown.

by purpleplus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Hello everyone,

While at a gas station, I saw an acquaintance from my JW days. I spoke to him first and he responded. We had a little small talk.

We parted ways for a moment, then he mentioned that he hadn't seen me at the hall in a while.

Me: "Oh, I don't do that anymore." said as if I was referring to smoking or some other bad habbit

Him: "What?" as if to confirm what he just heard

Me: "I don't go to the hall anymore"

Him: "Oh, what happened?" like he really wanted to know

Me: "I looked into some things, and the things didn't add up."

Him: "Well, I can understand that... How's your mother and father?" we were in high school together so he was aquainted with my family

Me: "We're all happy and healthy"

He said something else before that, which I can't remember. Then we said our goodbyes. Anyway the point is I told this guy that I DON'T go to the hall by CHOICE. He's probably an elder at his congregation now. It felt good to be honest and forthright. Yay me!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Congratulations on exercising your freedom of conscience, speech, and choice! Regardless of how your former JW colleague may have viewed the encounter, you've taken another step into a much larger and better world.

Quendi

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Well, congratulations on arriving at such a place. WOO HOO!.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nice!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    "Well, I can understand that..."

That's an interesting comment. My lot would never say anything that even remotely suggested that they could understand someone having doubts after looking into WT doctrines.

Cheers

Chris

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi purpleplus, congratulations on being honest and couragious!!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• fade_away
    fade_away

He said "I can understand that". Maybe he has some doubts of his own.

• steve2
    steve2

I like your natural responses to the JWs questions. You sounded relaxed and easy going, not like you were itching for a confrontation. This speaks well of you and I think the JW may have sensed your low-key but honest attitude. Some people say "I can understand that..." as a bit of meaningless social nicety - a bit like saying "Have a nice day". He quickly inquired about your parents...Good safe way to deflect the topic. Still a nice JW is far more tolerable than the other kind.

• flipper
    flipper

PURPLEPLUS- I agree, yay for you ! You did great ! JW's expect us to be ashamed about not going to meetings like holding our heads down or something when we tell them we don't attend. But you held your head high, you were forthright and honest, and deep down proud of the informed decision you have made . And that is awesome. None of us have ANY reason to feel shame over not attending anymore. If anything, we should feel proud we had the courage to exit the Witnesses. Just my 2 cents

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Thank you for the replies.

Yeah, JW's expect us to be ashamed and miserable for leaving the borg. If only they knew the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit