WT Society Alters their History as " The Party " did in George Orwell's 1984

by flipper 69 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My parents (both reaffirmed jws, been pioneering a lot lately) had a copy of "Animal Farm" when I was a child. I don't think either one of them read the book. I do remember my mother saying that she thought it was a children's book. I read that book when I was a teen. It's no kids' book. :D

• flipper
    flipper

FRANKLIN MASSEY- It truly seems that JW's are very similar to the 1984 scenario. I will remember not to mention it around devout JW's. However- I really wonder if many JW's have even read this book or know about it ?

SD-7 - Thanks for the plug on the Animal Farm book. I'll have to read that after 1984. It is weird how similar even the language is that's used in 1984 with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Very eerie. WT propaganda is a very insidious thing.

MRS. JONES- Hey there sis ! How are you ? So your parents had Animal Farm ? Wow. Sounds like they didn't read it if they said it's a children's book. And they are still in the cult- so obviously they didn't read it. LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I don't think that many have read it but the terms "1984" and "Big Brother" are synonymous with conspiracy and control. I've mentioned the book before and received negative reactions by those who assumed (correctly) that I was suggesting some strange business going on behind the scenes.

• blondie
  • No Room For George
    No Room For George

Wanted to mention something else, as I don't think anyone mentioned it unless I missed it. It's noteworthy, that when elder bodies recieve letters from the branch related to subjects in which previous letters had been sent, there are always directions to destroy the previous letters sent. Even on the JW.Org website, there's a login for JWs, but then there's a login for elders which cannot be obtained without the congregation secretary knowhow. Once you get access to the confidential part of the website, there's a search engine for letters and forms. Now if a newly appointed elder were to get access today, he'd never know the contents of previous letters in which the WT's stance on certain legal and organizational modus operandi was adjusted, or even eliminated. In other words, even those brothers who're the cream of the crop in the average congregation won't be able to locate a paper trail necessarily if a light bulb goes off in their cranium suggesting that something is fishy.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

In one of the study articles of Jan or Feb. of 1990, it read (To the best of my recollection): "Paul was laying the groundwork for a preaching work that would be complete by the end of our 20th Century."

This was changed in the later bound volumes to read "Paul was laying the groundwork for a preaching work that would be completed in our day."

How's that for a revision?

• blondie
  • Alfred
    Alfred

"1984" was required reading for the class of '84 in my high school english class... Ironically, I got baptized after reading this book... Not that the book had anything to do with my decision to get baptized... But I certainly should have woken up after reading half way through it... Sadly, it had no effect... At 18, I guess I was more interested in girls than grasping abstract government schemes including the whole "big brother" concept in a book I found extremely boring at the time. Having said that, I highly recommend this Orwellian masterpiece...

• Alfred
    Alfred

"1984" was required reading for the class of '84 in my high school english class... Ironically, I got baptized after reading this book... Not that the book had anything to do with my decision to get baptized... But I certainly should have woken up after reading half way through it... Sadly, it had no effect... At 18, I guess I was more interested in girls than grasping abstract government schemes including the whole "big brother" concept in a book I found extremely boring at the time. Having said that, I highly recommend this Orwellian masterpiece...

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Thanks to Ynot for posting this on a previous thread that I had started.

BTW: Does anyone know where she is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit