Tax Exempt status - is there a way to get JWs to lose it?

by Black Man 26 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal
    This would be the one way to bring down religion in the US. Eliminate tax-exempt status, for all the organizations that arent truely helping people...ie food, shelter, secular education.

It could turn into another loop hole. So how much exactly do we need to give to the people to become tax exempt? If we give say, 10% of our earnings to the poor, we're tax exempt? How about 100 percent of our 'profits' and operate as a non-profit?

I don't like destructive religions anymore than any of you but I do agree with the 'spirit of the Constitution' and its protection of religious freedoms.

• blondie
    blondie

The status changed in the early 1950's as to the WTS calling themselves a religion. Before, all religion was considered false, ergo, they were not a religion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/94369/1/New-Light-from-the-50s-Religion-now-acceptable-word

The WTS in Mexico went from not a religion (for all the WTS) in the 1950's, to no longer a religion in Mexico alone, than back to a religion.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Diest - This would be the one way to bring down religion in the US. Eliminate tax-exempt status, for all the organizations that arent truely helping people...ie food, shelter, secular education.

I feel that another way to eliminate money flowing to the WTBTS, is to replace the current income tax system with a retail sales tax. I would really enjoy not worrying about April 15th approaching every year, because I procrastinated about completing my income tax return. I suppose that all religions, tax accountants, and charitable organizations are against eliminating income taxes. At least no one could scream that the government was being anti-religious. I personally feel that the constitution protects freedom of establishing and participating in religions, and does not protect religions from being taxed, so all arguments against eliminating tax exemptions for religions as being unconstitutional seem exaggerated.

U.S. .Constitution - Section. 8.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; . . .

U.S Constitution - Amendment I - Freedoms, Petitions, Assembly

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• blondie
  • Black Man
    Black Man

Informative link, Blondie. Thanks!!

• Black Man
    Black Man

This goes up!

• Black Man
    Black Man

Up!