Why So Many Young People Are Leaving The Watchtower

by Jeremy C 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I think that this OP was a great one. With Anthony Morris' new JW TV rant on higher education. This organization keeps blaming Higher education for the young ones leaving the org.  They need to take a look in the mirror and see that these young ones are wiser than they give them credit for.

Kids need something. Something to feel a part of. As a born in, anything that was fun (good clean fun) was always WRONG. Someone in the Congregation (usually a Nazi Elder) usually ruined it for the kids. After a while the kids felt beat down and went out and found other things/people to entertain themselves with (good or bad).

It's tough growing up in this religion. It's tough growing up in this world.

I really feel bad for the young ones that are still in. So many are just taking their hopes and dreams away.

We keep telling our kids to think, listen and speak & never stop learning. When you take peoples (kids too) dreams away, what do you have left?

Times are getting tougher financially and these kids have it even tougher than we did. They need some form of training to make a decent living. Even some of the Elders and MS's feel this way but can't express it. When your health insurance exceeds your mortgage payment, we have a problem.

Anyway...if you haven't read the original post, it may be worth the read.    

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    Great OP!       Thanks for BTTTing it toes up.     I often wonder if the borg is getting better at keeping kids in recently.        I see such a small sample size.     Our area has a lot around 12 years old.    Very few around 20. But of those around 20 they are seeming to choose the young marriage route over the sample the world route.      
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The WT are finally realizing how important and beneficial an asset our youth are....that is why they're putting soo much emphasis on 'family worship night'.

My prayer is that our youth collectively will give a to the WTBTS & demonstrate to them what they can do with their 'family worship night' program!!! 

It's sad to see a young person waste his life in JW world!  

My message to JW youth....'Go For the Gusto In Life' and turn your back on any advice being spewed from 'Mother'! 

• All for show
    All for show

Wow, what a great OP. I am glad it found it's way up top.

i have asked this question for several years, to various JWs, they all look at me like I am crazy. I was always envious of school friends who loved their youth group, I hated meeting and felt like something was wrong with me. 

The only answer I get is " We are organized to preach. Can you imagine all the drama and resources that would take?" It's true, can you imagine, the cult would suck the life out of any half way enjoyable youth program. 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember this thread, it was a good one.

The OP reminds me of something Dogpatch once wrote a long time ago; that the most successful churches were ones that met their members' "primal needs", and that the WTS's low retention rate was a partial result of that.

• Jay Elle
    Jay Elle

My teen daughter has flatly refused to go to anymore meetings.  She felt this way even before it was obvious to me I was in a cult.  She would not leave the car when the memorial took place.  She dug in and said , "This is your crazy religion that makes you scared of life, not mine."

She said the youth of today will not tolerate anti-gay, misogyny, or any hateful disfellowshipping.  Never mind a Bible written for white men.  She was very clear that her generation was informed and will look at all the evidence.  She sent her Dad JWfacts.  She told him if he makes her go to the hall she will corrupt the kids intentionally with these facts.  Also she said that she will not discuss JW literature until he looks at the entire site of JW facts since he is bullied by his leaders to stay ignorant under penalty.  She has agreed to no such fear of research.

she told our family therapist in front of her Dad that she will not have her head counted in attendance towards such a hateful group of people that dehumanizes others....EVER.

She is part of a group at school that reviews organizations that advocate hate.  She used Sam Herds talk on womens small brains as a speaking point.  When she told her Dad about it and sent him the talk he was upset.  She invited him to be interviewed in defense  of Sam Herd.  He was not going to sink with that ship.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Jay Elle...

Wow.

Your kid's more of a verbal powerhouse than most grownups (including me).

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Wow jay elle, your daughter is completely amazing!!! I hope you and her dad pay for her college.
  • Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jay Elle, I wish that when I was 10 - 13 years old that I had access to such information that your teen daughter had! When I was 13 years old there was no internet accessible to the general public - the Apple IIe computer and the IBM PC hadn't even been invented yet! [I didn't buy my first computer (it was an 8-bit computer) and modem card (for connection to other computers by telnet - there was no internet browser and world wide web back then) until the latter half of my time in college.] If I had the information readily available back then (when I was younger than age 14) that people have today I very probably would never have become baptized as a JW!

People like daughter (when you made you post 6 years ago) are what we need in the KHs today educating the other unbaptized youth in the KH so they don't ever get baptized into the JW religion!

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Jay Elle says ....... I know this post is from 6 years ago but its important.

Also she said that she will not discuss JW literature until he looks at the entire site of JW facts since he is bullied by his leaders to stay ignorant under penalty

Thats a critical point about why JWS dont research their religion and teachings, fear combined with guilt, the WTS leaders profess their teachings are righteous and pure guided by god's holy spirit so therefor they shouldn't be examined even using the bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit