How many people watched "The Princess and the Frog?"

by garyneal 150 Replies latest jw experiences

• AGuest
    AGuest

THANK you, dear Talesin (the greatest of love and peace to you!). I wasn't going to bring that travesty up, but it WAS the only one for "us" when I was a kid. I would have slit my wrists before letting my children see something like that!

Again, peace to you... and thank you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• agonus
    agonus

I would have to concur that the Crescent City may not have been the best choice of locales.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Hmmm, interesting take all of you. I respect people's opinions but personally I like the movie. My wife was adamant about not allowing my daughter to watch it because of a voodoo man. I don't know, maybe I overreacted but it brought back painful memories of my sitting in an IFB church listening to the pastor's rants about various cartoons and television shows being ‘demonic.’ My wife tried to reason with me using the scriptures last night and while I understand what she is trying to tell me, I pointed out that cartoons like Cinderella and The Little Mermaid also had witches and magic in them. She agreed but felt like they were okay, double standard I thought so she said, “For you, since I am stumbling you, I don’t approve of those movies either.”

To say this is irritating is an understatement but I see now that I am just going to have to keep my mouth shut as there is no reasoning with her. She tried to say I no longer follow the Bible as I permitted the viewing of this movie. She said that she must look out for her children’s spirituality if I fail to do so. I hate this religion.

What do you do when confronted with stuff like this? I guess I need to find a better way to handle it. My wife is so funny, on the one hand she insists that she does not want ‘blood on her hands’ when it comes to allowing our spirituality to faulter. However, she refuses to prove 1919 to me and insists that it is merely an ‘apostate game.’ I sometimes wish I never married this chick and feel like if I can undo my choices, I surely would. Except, I love my daughters and I don’t want to lose them. *sigh*

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Gary,

to me the bottom line is the showin' of Good vs Evil

no matter who represents the Evil, whether it's a voodoo man

evil step mother or witch. Each story show that the good side

always win

• garyneal
    garyneal

WasBlind,

Agreed and this is what I tried to argue with my wife. Yeah, it had a 'shadow man' but in the end he loses. Good triumphed.

This reasoning is lost on her.

• wasblind
    wasblind

You said a mouthful Shelby :)

• AGuest
    AGuest

Yeah, sorry, dear Wuz (peace to you, chile!). I think it was because when I tried to explain it to my Anglicized Hispanic BIL... he began to "snork" and laugh behind his hand with that "Of course you people would think it's racist; everything is racist to YOU" air. Ticked me OFF. I asked, "What are you laughing about?" and his responded, "Huh? What? Oh, no, I'm not laughing," but kept doing it... until HE realized no one was laughing but him.

I realize that most folks ONLY see "us" through music videos, MTV events, blaxploitation movies, civil protests, etc... but is so unindicative of who MOST of us are. Folks see that because that's pretty much the only "stuff" they'll let us (or TV stations) put out there. HUGE outcry in black media as to what kinds of movies, etc., that "Hollywood" will LET us make. Bill Cosby was one of the only ones to be able to portray us any different than the stereotypical "Amos and Andy" bunch of yuk-yuks. But he had control over that... because he had a LOT of financial backing.

Ennywho... again, the flick ticked me off, too! It is not what I would have MY daughter to aspire to (well, maybe owning her own restaurant, but certainly not some smooth-talking slick loser man... who just happens to be good-looking. "Pretty", actually. I have taught her to RUN from that!).

Okay, enough - said my piece on it.

But, yeah, I took my kids to ALL of Diznie movies when they were kids. My LEAST favorite? The Little Mermaid. NOT because of the witch/magic (big deal!). Nope. But because she was a 16 year-old who was blatantly disobeying her father so as to run off with some BOY! So, okay, the father was "racist" (didn't like the boy because he had legs/was human)... but she WAS only 16! I told my daughter not to even THINK about disobeying me and running off with some hyper-pubescent boy before she was 19 and old enough to TELL a boy... from a man. Funny thing: she held to that - LOLOLOLOL! Had her first "boyfriend" at 19 - WHOO-HOOOO! By that time, I didn't care what she did, pretty much.

No, seriously, enough. Sorry folks - being off work, recouperating, unable to do "much" (can move fingers but not arm/shoulder)... is taking its toll on me. Only so many friends/family one can call and "chat" with during the day. This place has been a great help toward my "healing", so thanks for bearing with me!

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• wasblind
    wasblind

Shelby, you truly are a gem to be able to see things from another persons view

trying' on another mans shoes to feel where he is comin' from is not an easy thing to do :)

Ole Wuz just loves the one who's on her own :)

• AGuest
    AGuest

MUAH t'ya'll, deah Miz Wuz! 'N da gratis o luv 'n piece t'ya'll 'n ya'llz howsehole, chile!

Yo sirvint, sistah... 'n a slav o de Lawd,

Miz Shebbie, fallin' on d' nek 'o Miz Wuz... wit a sloppy kis!

• peace_lily
    peace_lily

Does she object to certain issues of The Watchtower and and certain WTBTS publications as well?

Just wondering?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit