Bible reading

by mankkeli 13 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Does anyone still take time to read the bible regularly or occassionally, or you have completely pushed it aside?. Pls give reasons

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There are far better books available and I've already read that one. Wasn't impressed with it the first time.

• Listener
    Listener

I have found it very hard to understand in the past but in the last few months I've been reading it a lot more. Reading people's comments here and researching has helped me to understand it without old JW blinker thinking which just proved to be a hinderance. When I was trying to read it with the understanding that the JWs had I would often be stumbled by verses which read differently to what their understanding is. Now, without the bias, I really enjoy it and feel I am being communicated to on a much more personal level.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I do read the bible - not regularly enough though.

And as Listemer says - it is good reading it without being told what it all means - reading it without bias it much better.

The Scotsman.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I think it's been about 10 years since I last picked one up to read.

• kazar
    kazar

No. It's not interesting.

• Lore
    Lore

Why would I read it again? There are so many other books out there to read, I'm not gonna waste time re-reading the ones I've already finished over and over.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I haven't read a book in a year. It's been a while.

I need to start again, and it's not going to be the Bible.

• Ding
    Ding

I still accept it as the written word of God.

No flaming, please: just answering the question.

Even for those who no longer view it that way, it still is a unique collection of 66 books dealing with God and life written by over 40 different human beings over thousands of years of human history. There is nothing comparable.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I will read it in a sustained way for many months and then rest for a while. My peak reading time happened when I was near death's door with illness. Until my illness, I was always either in school or practicing law and reading texts for a living and in a rush. My exposure to NT in college whetted my appetitie and I expected to revisit in during retirement. I need something to manage my fears when I was in agonizing pain, Mysticism was a primary attraction. I developed my own Anglican prayer services based on the Russian Orthodox Jesus Prayer, meditation, Daily Lectionary from the Prayer Book, Morning, Evening, Noontide and Compline services with special attention to prayers for the very ill and dying. Once I finished the formal part, I'd spend one or two hours studying a book such as C.S. Lewis, Thomas Merton, The Dark Cloud of Unknowing.

When my mind was in an altered state, I'd write down sketchy notes concerning my thoughts. I loved this routine.

It is not very practical. Besides my private time, I sign up for church sponsored Bible Study and spirituality courses. I raise issues. Sometimes the leader is visibly annoyed. I believe faith is greater acknowledging human issues. Sharing my interest in the Last Temptation of Christ or the latest Gnostic find, I understand how I am the outside agitator in rural PA. In Manhattan, I am the slowpoke raising these concerns. I am left behind in the dust.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit