Is there a reason to remain a JW other than for family?

by cedars 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

This strikes me as an important question. In my short time on this forum it strikes me that many contributors are quite open about keeping a foot in both camps. Some are apparently even elders, serving in positions of authority within their respective congregations. Each of these people can justify to themselves why they remain as a witness, to the point of even giving talks and parroting the dogma of the society (thus assisting the society in making new converts) even though they know the teachings to be false.

My question is this..

Is there justifiable cause to pretend to be a Jehovah's Witness when you know the organisation to be a scam OTHER than to keep your family members happy, or to remain in touch with them?

A subsidiary question could be...

If someone chooses to remain a witness for the sake of family, is it right that they should hold on to positions of authority within the organisation, thereby furthering the interests of the society?

I ask this because the "family" issue is the only justifiable reason I can personally think of for parading around as someone you are not. A strong desire to make my family happy and fulfil their expectations was what kept me in the organisation for more than a year after it dawned on me that this wasn't "the truth". Finally I realised that even this reason wasn't enough, and thankfully my family has been very understanding in my decision to become inactive, even though many aren't aware of the real reasons why.

I'm interested to know whether others share this opinion, or whether anyone can demonstrate why there may be other justifiable reasons to remain a witness?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, there are legitimate financial reasons why one might want to technically remain a JW. This could be because of current employment or because of a future inheritance.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

As far as your first question goes, I can't speak on behalf of everybody else, but yeah, maintaining family ties and peace undoubtetly is the key factor. Also, like LeavingWT stated, some people's financial dependence is tied up within the organization. I've always said to myself, I will NEVER work for another JW, and I'd avoid at all costs working with a JW too. I know quite a few brothers who's way of making a living while not entirely dependent upon other JWs, a significant portion of it is. I've never thought about the inheritance end of things though, LeavingWT. That's an interesting point.

As far as positions of authority, I think it boils down to a combination of things, with the short list including fear of disappointing others including family especially if your family ties within the organization run deep. Pride may play a role, embarrassment could be mentioned, along with unwanted attention because if you've don't have health problems or another "legitimate" excuse, questions of the uncomfortable nature are going to be asked directly, not to mention the chatter behind your back which will inevitably get back to you second hand. At the same time, not all who remain feel the entire organization is a scam, there's large parts of it that people may still agree with. Myself personally, I agree with maybe 75% of it doctrinally, its just the other 25% that I don't agree with, happen to be biggies, but for others maybe thats not so much a big deal.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

What Miz said. Except the doctrine stuff. But that may be due to the fact that I'm reading The God Delusion right now.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Besides all the things that has been mentioned. POWER if you're an elder.

Some people are treated like shit in the real world and treated with respect in the Kingdom Hall. So yeah you would have to have very low self esteem to stay for that reason.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Is there justifiable cause to pretend to be a Jehovah's Witness when you know the organisation to be a scam OTHER than to keep your family members happy, or to remain in touch with them?

I know I'm a hard liner but in my opinion, NO. There is no justifiable cause not even family. Do you want to live your life as a complete lie?

If someone chooses to remain a witness for the sake of family, is it right that they should hold on to positions of authority within the organisation, thereby furthering the interests of the society?

Absolutely not! It's reprehensible. Stand up. Be an adult. Live your life honestly and with conviction.

I left the religion when I was 15. I realize the point that I left was before I was married and had children. Thank God!!!! That would certainly have complicated things. My parents did not disown me. I think they wanted to get out themselves but were staying in for "family reasons". I have no respect for their decision even now. My parents are now deceased. I do not have any contact with the JW part of the family anymore. Too bad. No regrets. I consider them a weight trying to drag me down and drown me.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Stay for the cookies and milk. They are a wonderful and refreshing expression of christian love. :D

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well. With me what you see is what you get (apart from my gravatar...that aint me).

Even having family in couldn't stop me from leaving. It took me only 4 months to deprogram and say to my family that I'd done with it.

Yes! It has had repercussions centred around the wife who has decided to stay in love with the 'organization' at my expense. I tough it out though because at the end of the day I can look in the mirror and say: 'Well! This is a sh1+ marriage but at least you stood up for what you believe in, i.e. truth and honesty!'

Even family couldn't keep me in!!

AS for other reasons.................like mentioned above, financial stability.

Another reason may be there are those that think they can work as a 5th columb within and help others out.

Staying in for whatever reason must eventually take it's toll mentally and force a person to a crisis point. Should I stay or should I go? (I'm singing now BTW)

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    What Miz said. Except the doctrine stuff. But that may be due to the fact that I'm reading The God Delusion right now.

Funny you said that, as I haven't read that book, but I did read God Is Not Great which I thought was a classic. Last week I won an award at work, and my boss gave me a $25 gift certificate to Barnes & Nobels, and I may just go get The God Delusion tonight.

• Dune
    Dune

I think another reason is for those without families. They come to a meeting, get love bombed and get addicted to it. I remember a bible study that lived for the love bombing, eventually the sisters stopped humouring her because she was studying for a year and never got baptized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit