What keeps you going after your exit from the Watchtower Society?

by Awen 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• shechaiyah
    shechaiyah

Nothing changed much. My life has been filled with experiences centered around the Kingdom of God. I got remarried, had two more sons, went to college (age 40-49), tried going into business, got divorced again; took care of my adopted mother until her passing; kept all the balls in the air til I got sick and had to retire. Since then (age 57) I do research on-line, carry on four web-sites, a news group; several Photo Albums; collect crochet & knitting patterns for self-sufficiency in the future; wrote four books about living in community. YHVH God is still the center of my life, and I like it that way. I'm content; all my kids are grown and educated; and their kids are bright as new pennies. I do videos on Youtube, radio shows on BlogTalkRadio; I have 5000 Friends on Facebook because I do a news column that saves people time. Armageddon's here (called "Comet ELEnin") and the WTBTS doesn't give a SHIFT for its own people. What a shame.

SheCHAIyah

• andys
    andys

One thing that keeps me going and this really takes all my anxiety/stress away is I love to be out on a dance floor thats playing fast music, I'll be out on the dance floor girls all around me dancing the night away at a certain bar where I live, dancing/music is one of the things I love doing and I am all amped up on red bulls, I don't like alchohol but red bulls and dancing the night away which I just got home from doing and had a blast tonight:)

• watersprout
    watersprout
    Did you try to find friends who had gotten out also?

No all my friends are still IN the Borg... Although I am not d'fed or d'ad I am treated like I am. I am shunned BIG TIME!

Did you try to get others out?

I didn't get chance. I was cast out very very quickly.

Did you go to school (college/university)?

I am getting educated now. Will be getting my qualifications in November! Plus I'm doing something that is ''demonic'' in the Borg so it feels even better! Lol

How different was the "world" you now found yourself in compared to living in JW-Land?

I lived a very sheltered life, and I was very damaged! So it's been very hard to adjust... I still have waves of anxiety and uncertainty come over me. It's getting easier though.

What surprised you?

How not scary the world really is... I was expecting everything the WT teaches and to be honest it's nothing like that at all...

Were the "worldy people" anything like what the WTS had warned you about pre-exit?

Not really.... You still get your nasty people but you get to PICK who you associate with. In the WT you have no choice...

Peace

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It made it easier for me to exit the Washtowel when they took away every advantage of remaining a witless. Every time they saw some "side benefit" of my being in, they would methodically take it away. And when they took one too many things away, blowing them off was much easier. You see, when the opportunity cost of blowing them off drops low enough, that makes it much easier to do that.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Once I found out what I taught to the 10 people I made JW'swas not the truth.
    I started a support group. with the help of other Christians. for EX JW's
    I was invited to give my testimony in MANY Churches( which I did)Was invited
    to go on a few TV shows. Which i did. "Shirley Show,"" Sally Jessie Rhapheal,"Rogers TV."
    I have spent the remainder of my life since exiting the WT,Doing all in my power,to
    let folks know the WT is worse than Waco,Jonestown. It is a most dangerous group.

• shechaiyah
    shechaiyah

Matthew chapter 18. If you want to keep your relationship with Jehovah, you do it HIS way in order to NOT SLANDER the Good and the Sincere.

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

SheCHAIyah

• mummatron
    mummatron

Did you try to find friends who had gotten out also? Did you try to get others out?

Not until recently. I've reconnected with 2 ex-JW friends via Facebook in the past year or two, and found a bro from my old congregation here on JWN. I haven't tried to get anyone out but have always kept in contact with my brother and fully support him now he's out.

Did you go to school (college/university)?

I did. In fact I was in Uni when I left. It attracted criticism from some of the congregation. I had to justify it to a lot of people with the spiel on how I was living under the watchful eyes of my parents; attending a local University-sector College (instead of moving away to a more respected University); due to a medical condition I was being treated for at the time I may not have been capable of holding down a full-time; oh, and I could always auxillary pioneer during the vacation periods (not that I ever did! LOL). It was the door that enabled me to exit as I was able to get a room in shared student accomodation and move out once I'd stoped FS and attending meetings.

How different was the "world" you now found yourself in compared to living in JW-Land?

Very different, but not in a bad way. I found the lack of monotonous routine and extra time quite strange at first. It was a relief to actually have some down-time, to be able to fill MY time with hobbies and live a life without JW restrictions - even simple things like saying 'yes' to working late on a meeting night.

What surprised you? Were the "worldy people" anything like what the WTS had warned you about pre-exit?

What surprised me most was how hospitable and kind people could be and that wholly unconditional friendships could be formed out of genuine appreciation and mutual interests. A "Worldly" friend once told me that he did not expect anything in return for helping me out one time as "friendship is its' own reward". I still find it hard to make new friends and am constantly wary of people I meet - thanks WTBT$ for my retarded social skills!

I was quite naïve with low self-esteem when I left, and with years of being conditioned to do as I was told and eager to please others, I found myself easily manipulated and controlled by a boyfriend→fiancé→husband which led me into 6 years of hell-ish abuse. I know this was an exceptional set of circumstances and that this most likely would not have happened to me had I not been brought up as part of a brainwashing cult. I'm aware of violence and control occuring in several JW marriages (including my parents') in the congregation I attended so it cannot really be blamed on a being in a "Worldly" relationship. Yes there are some shady characters here in the big wide World, but they're the exception, the minority. Not the norm. There are just as many bad seeds attending KHs!

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

My lovely Christain Family left me Pennyless and for Dead.

All my closest Friends fell off this Earth......

I found myself fending for myself and able to Live by Myself with no help from Brothers.... Sisters..

God ..Jesus... All On My Own!!!!

Satan's World didn't eat me alive ......

What keeps you going after your exit from the Watchtower Society?

Don't take nobody's word what you can do
    There ain't no Jesus gonna come from the sky
    Now that I found out I know I can cry
    I found Out!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

I discovered pretty quickly that JWs aren't real friends, so I didn't really make any close relationships with them. Even though I'm still "in", I don't associate socially with any JWs. The only difference I've discovered between fair-weather JW friends and fair-weather non-JW friends is at least the non-JWs aren't as self-righteous after stabbing you in the back. I don't get along well with stupid and/or ignorant people, so I doubt there are many JWs I'd be able to associate with for long before wanting to strangle them to death with their own intestines.

• shechaiyah
    shechaiyah

There's even a place in the universe for the Errant.

SheCHAIYah :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit