Watchtower — baptism — thousands of Children

by Marvin Shilmer 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Watchtower — baptism — thousands of Children

Today I uploaded a new article to my blog comparing what Watchtower said about Jesus and baptizing children with what Watchtower had been doing for years.

My article is titled Watchtower — baptism — thousands of Children and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/08/watchtower-baptism-thousands-of.html

What was Watchtower thinking? What has Watchtower done to so many?

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• Gayle
    Gayle

ugh,,I'm so sick for the children,,,did they remain JWs,,were they promised they would soon be in the New World and pet lions and promised that Jehovah would give them a pony in the New World? Are they in their '70s now,,old,,with no retirement package. Have their children left the religion and have resentments against them raising in the JW false religion. Sad, sad,,sad.

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks Marvin - that picture really was an eyeopener. With the new WTBTS policy wanting children as young as 12 to be baptised , whether or not their parents consent , it really is hypocrytical of the WTBTS to admit that Jesus didn't baptise children yet want to do the same thing themselves.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    With the new WTBTS policy wanting children as young as 12 to be baptised

Revise that age downwards:

YB2011 p54: "Now TEN years old Persis is baptized and is serving as an auxilary pioneer while in school"

YB2011 p59: "(Paulo) because of her love for Jehovah she got baptized at the age of SEVEN"

Just remember JW's do not baptise infants. At what age do children stop being infants?

George

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thanks Marvin . . . another dictionary grade example of the word hypocrisy

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Whatever happen to the teaching that the parents being baptised protected their children? It was like a protective umbrella the children were under. I was 16 when I got baptised and I only did it because some pioneer told me I could not be used in anything in the hall unless I was baptised. All the wrong reasons. Which shows I was way to young to make such a big decision that would effect me for the rest of my life. Totally ADD

• jmorgan74
    jmorgan74

Listen, I am by no means a Watchtower apologist, but the typical attitude seems to be that if the Watchtower does something, it must automatically be bad. Let's refocus on what's truly bad: The overuse and abuse of disfellowshipping. That's the problem. Not setting some sort of an age limit for baptism - which is never set by anyone, including Jesus. If a child feels strongly about his or her love of God and wants to express that by baptism, who is anyone to stop or discourage them? At the same time, let's not shun the same person later at the drop of a hat.

Marvin, the pictures are interesting, but getting old (at least with me). When will you go back to posting substantive articles? Those are the ones I liked to read.

Thanks,
    Jack

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I didn't think that Jesus baptised anyone, did he?

• Quandry
    Quandry

The problem with "expressing their love for God by baptism" is that young children have no concept that their baptism means that everything they do will be scrutinized...for a really young person this could be devastating. One of the questions for baptism a person must answer is aknowledging that the organization is "spirit-directed." How can a really young person completely understand this? They have no means of comprehending what it means to research and make truly informed decisions.

EVERYONE makes mistakes, especially unwary and inexperienced young people. The elders sometimes take these young ones and humiliate, berate, and crush them-all "spirit directed" of course.

Also-no, Jesus did not baptise anyone personally.

• St George of England
    St George of England

If someone is too young to have sex, get married, vote, drink alcohol, because they are under (insert legal age requirement for your country) then how can they be sufficiently mature to make an equally life changing decision such as getting baptised as a JW?

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit