I'd like to talk to some ex-JW couples

by Mad Sweeney 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I know a few of the guys here started to fade and managed to bring their wives and family along on the exit. I will be sending some of you a PM or FB message some time soon.

Are there any ex-Dub ladies here who managed to influence your husband to re-examine and eventually quit the Borg?

It is very difficult to get to the genuine personality of an indoctrinated JW but if anyone can do it, a loving spouse can. There are several couples here who are living proof.

If you're out there and you don't get a message from me, drop me a PM or FB message. Thanks!

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's an incredible, as well as humbling, privilege to have my wife my side through all of this as I know it's actually a rarity.

-Sab

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My wife left very shortly after I did. She never really cared about the doctrine though, meetings were a cultural thing for her. We used to be the social center of the congregation, and she was very hurt that as soon as I stopped going to meetings she stopped getting invitations. On top of that, she could not accept the shunning I received from family. Going to meetings alone became depressing. That was enough for her to realise the Watchtower was not a pleasant loving environment that she wanted to be involved with.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It really seems rare, but the fact that it IS done means that it CAN BE done.

I think if enough of us can share our stories about how we did it - whether it was conscious or just serendipity - newly exiting ones can gain both inspiration and a bit of strategy that might help them salvage their marriage and family while exiting. I think we have plenty of examples of what NOT to do but that's really the easy part. Figuring out what works, even if it only works sometimes, can at least give the newly exiting people some options to try.

Paul, I sent you a PM on FB recently. Hope you got it.

Sab, I'll be sending you one soon, too.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Sorry I haven't sent a FB PM or an email to anyone yet about this topic.

I am still pursuing this for CFR but I've been busy working on some technical stuff, converting the shows to mp3 for podcast and cleaning up the audio which at times has been quite rough.

Thanks to you who have contacted me. I will definitely be in touch. We may end up with enough to do two or more shows on the topic of exiting with your spouse (or as the Borg calls it, your "marriage mate").

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

I was just honest with my wife. I told her I couldnt pretend to go to meetings and enjoy it just for the sake of the kids. We had agreed on this during the early stages of exodus. But at some point, i had to come clean and say its not for me anymore.

Barb Anderson's articles were paramount in helping her wake up. I didn't want to be that husband that pestered the shit out of her about leaving the JW. I wanted her to find out on her own (which she did).

• Open mind
  • Scully
    Scully

I wanted to leave for almost a year before I even considered discussing it with Mr Scully.

I'd take the children with me to the library and check out books on the topics of social psychology, mind control, brainwashing and propaganda, trying to deal with the cognitive dissonance of believing that I was not a victim of brainwashing / mind control (because that's what the WTS said), and the painful realization that my worst fears were true. I also started watching a Social Psychology course on the university channel and became fascinated with the inner workings of the manipulative nature of JWs.

The approach I finally decided to take with Mr Scully was similar to the one that was used in the Live Forever book - how it would be a huge betrayal of trust to find out that the JW leadership had lied to us. Then we looked up the definition of the word "lie" in the Insight volumes. The phrase "it is not necessary to disclose truthful information to people who are not entitled to it" blew him away once he realized that regular R&F JWs could be included in that group of "people who are not entitled" to honesty, especially once we started turning up one example after another of dishonesty within the Organization™, and dishonesty as a lifestyle choice of many of the JWs we knew.

It took about 6 months' worth of breadcrumbs, but eventually he said he was fed up with the dishonesty in the religion, and we started making an exit plan.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Then we looked up the definition of the word "lie" in the Insight volumes. The phrase "it is not necessary to disclose truthful information to people who are not entitled to it"

Hey there, Scully (or anyone else). Would there be a scan of that particular page available anywhere?

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Nickolas

I'm scanning the entire entry for you and I'll upload it shortly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit