2009 Statistics for the Philippines...

by Tuesday 28 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    As a side note, Philippines had to highest percentage loss of publishers after the false predictions for 1975.

That is interesting, I had noticed that when looking at the numbers some time ago. It would be interesting to hear the story behind the decline from Witnesses who were in the country at the time. Some eastern European countries also lost a lot of Witnesses after 1975.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    I bet you were thinking Indonesia when you thought predominantly Muslim pacific island nation. The Philippines were a Spanish colony and as such (as has been mentioned) are predominantly Catholic. You may want to check this for accuracy but I think I read once that they are the only south pacific / southeast Asian country to have Spanish as one of their primary languages. I don't know if it's relevant but I thought it was an interesting tidbit when I heard it.

That's a distinct possibility. I wrote this in like four minutes, I knew about spanish being a primary language and all about Ms. Marcos and her shoe collection. I think since I've been reading lately about the muslim violence in the southern island I assumed that most of the country was muslim as well. My bad, though the fact they're predominantly a catholic country works alot better for the point I'm trying to get at any way. I'll edit the thing for accuracy about the country which if you look at the whole post is half a sentence in each of the four paragraphs. So I replace that with "Catholic", then point out that the 13,800 converting to Jesus means that they weren't Christian before since if they were Catholic before they already would've accepted Jesus. It's going to take me 15 seconds to change something so miniscule. I probably would've did a quick search on the country before I recorded anything but last night I figured this was going to be a bit easier. I didn't expect it to blow up like this off of a combined total of 12 words.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

LOL. Ask for advice here and you're going to get a TON of it. We've been trained to nitpick by the masters of minutiae - the Borg.

BTW, thanks for this thread. It has bikini-clad Filipino ladies in the popup ads.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Re nit-picking:

If an "apostate" makes the smallest error, a JW will pick up on that and anything else the "apostate" may say, no matter how true, will be negated by the smallest error.

Hence the need to be as accurate as humanly possible.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

The nit-picking comment was a misspelling on something that I will be reading in video form. The fact I misspell something when I'm reading it out and no one who watches the video will ever read the script is what I was referring to, I doubt highly any JW is going to say "You misspelled that country when you were reading it, therefore this entire video is invalid".

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Don't take the advice personally, Tuesday.

We're trying to help you, ok?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It's not personally it's more that there were comments about the Phillippines that was incredibly helpful like it's make-up and it's culture. Then there was a bunch of stuff that served like no-purpose. I made a joke about JWs being the only ones to nit-pick in regards to small things that don't matter, and that blows up into numerous comments about nit-picking which have nothing to do with the post nor anything helpful whatsoever. It's farcical in it's absurdity.

"You misspelled something in the post of the text you're going to read in video form"
    "Ha, and I thought only the JWs nit-pick things"
    "You're mistaken about the Phillippines being muslim in the majority, they're actually catholic in the majority"
    "Wow, that actually makes the point of the video even better. I wasn't aware, only about what I had been reading"
    "You're so ignorant of the subject for putting something that you acknowledged you were incorrect on. That's not not-picking"
    "The nit-picking comment was in regards to the misspelling of something I'm reading in video form, not the thing I already acknowledged I was going to correct."
    "The Phillippians are Catholic actually."
    "Thank You, I've acknowledged I'm going to correct that"
    "That's not nit-picking at all the Phillippians are Catholic. The JWs will find anything wrong with the video to discredit it."
    "The nit-picking comment was in regards to the misspelling of something I'm reading in video form, again not the thing I already acknowledged I was going to correct."
    "Don't take it personally"

It's not that I'm taking it personally it's that I've repeated myself several times on this about the same thing and one joke comment is continually being used to say I'm talking about nit-picking something I clearly didn't. Making me repeat myself without adding a stitch of content isn't really helping anything it's just being asinine. If you can point out something that has already been pointed out and acknowledged several times it's not helping it's beating a dead horse.

• steve2
    steve2

I may have missed something Tuesday, so bear with me, but in what way is your research on publisher numbers in the Philippines 'a tough question' to quote you? Tough for who? The JWs?

There are more than a few countries in which JW growth has been conspicuously slow. Take India as one example: The Watchtower Society branch office was established in that country at least before the turn of the twentieth century, yet there are still only a few thousand JWs in a burgeoning population that is pushing one billion.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'm curious...

What makes you think that good ol' boy Pat Robertson told the truth about the number of Muslims converting to Christianity as a result of his show? Perhaps he offered a free tract mailer, and counted every one who took him up on the offer as a "convert" from Islam to Christianity...

That's just the sort of thing some of these TV evangelists would do... Con artists, the lot of them!!

[edited] Whoops! Just got to page 2 - yes, 13k converts from CATHOLICISM to good ol' [boy] Pat Robertson is more likely...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit