I'm Not Spiritual

by FrankWTower 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sure does tal . . . 1-5!

The only thing missing in that definition is an example . . . I know some

• ambersun
    ambersun
    The things they term spiritual are tasks, behavior, acts, doctrine..

This is so true, mindseye. When I was a dub there was one thing that really got to me. When someone in the congregation was ill and needed care and attention, the time given to this poor soul by 'loving' brothers and sisters was always conditional to how much they could spare from their ministry work which always took precedence.

There is one occasion from way back that really sticks in my mind. A sister of the remnant was ill and bedridden. All her family and friends were out knocking doors or doing other 'spiritual' things while she sat alone at home. She was a lovely person who had helped me a lot, and to me there was no option but to go to her in her time of need. As far as I was concerned the ministry could wait - she was more important! Well, one day when I had just placed a tray in front of her with a cup of tea and a snack, she gave a long, sad sigh. I asked what was the matter. She said "Amber, you are so kind and caring. If only you put as much effort into your spiritual welfare as you do into caring for people......." she trailed off with another sad sigh. It appeared she would have been happier if I was out knocking doors. I was speechless!! Here was I, caring for a sick lady who would otherwise be alone and neglected while her family tended to their doctrinal needs, yet I was the one who was lacking spiritually.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Just a thought maybe those we think were spiritual were just very guilty. And this guilt forces them to do what they think is spiritual activity. I felt the same way how everyone around me appeared be more spirtual than me pushing themselves to go out in service and meeting attendance. At the same time let what I called more important things like familiy and children left to fend for themselves. Guilt is the driving force of the WT cult not being spiritual. Totally ADD

• designs
    designs

Contemplation replaced prayer. Naturalism replaced God. Activism replaced witnessing.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

You make a good point TotallyADD. I believe there is some truth to that, as guilt was a motivation for me, especially when something said touched emotions.

CoC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If we use WTS and JW's to define "spiritual," then who wants to be spiritual?

Even using the insistence from believers in God that it has to do with believing/worship, who needs it?

But, if "spiritual" had to do with the spirit of people as opposed to the physical world, then we might be surprised.
    I feel that being spiritual has to do with everything that is not secular/physical. With our typical lives, it is everything besides earning a living and paying your bills.

Learning is spiritual, caring for other people and interacting with them is spiritual. Wanting answers to who we are and what we are doing with our lives is very spiritual. Questioning is spiritual. Deciding that you are better off not being a spiritual JW is extremely spiritual.

This paradox has been brought to you by OnTheWayOut, the spiritual atheist.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

They don't know what spiritual is. They have a zeal for God but not according to accurate knowledge.

Ambersun what you did demonstrated spirituality and true Christian qualities.

When I was waking up and read Matthew ch 23 where Jesus condemned the Pharisees I was floored. JW way of worship fits that better than worshipping in Spirit & Truth. I kick myself that I didn't see (2 Timothy 3:5) ". . .having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power..." in the JW way of worship.

Think of how often they read Romans 1:20 and miss the point of the context.(Romans 1:18-23) 18 For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, 19 because what may be known about God is manifest among them, for God made it manifest to them. 20 For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. 22 Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish 23 and turned the glory of the incorruptible God into something like the image of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed creatures and creeping things.

They focus on the things seen (organization, buildings, # baptized, service hours) and not on the things unseen (good heart, kindness, mercy, sincerity, charity, love).

A speaker at our KH brought out how careful the brothers need to be in focusing on organization. He read Rev 7:9 and said "a great crowd which no man was able to number" then why are we so concerned with the figures. Is counting time, attendance, rv's, bible studies, organization crowding out the command at (Galatians 6:10) "Really, then, as long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith." I was ready to shout AMEN!!! I keep wondering if he is aware of the truth and is an underground JW. It was obvious to all he did not follow the outline. That was the best talk I had ever heard as a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit