A simple way to tell God probably doesn't exist

by poor places 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh and Qc, if you decide to go slap the crap out of your wife or S.O., are you going to blame God for that?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Personally I wouldn't since I'm no longer into imaginary beings.

When I find my keys it's all my own effort, when I get a promotion at work it's mine not your gods.

I'm also less inclined to see myself as the head of my home and the lead disciplinarian as my xian upbringing falsely taught me - so I'm less likely to ever 'slap the crap' now that I reject Xian morals.

Let me flip the question - when you have a great idea do you ascribe it to god? When you achieve anything is it god's benevolence? When you have bad things happen to you is it ever god's punishment, a test from a wise god, a learning experience you need for your eternal future or is it just 'life'? In the scenario you posited above - if you got slapped which is it test, punishment, lesson or random event?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I find my keys, Q, I find my keys. When I get a promotion, I get the promotion.

I said if you decide to slap the crap, IF. Okay or how about if your neighbor decides to slap his wife, are the police going to arrest God? It's going to be the husband they cuff and put into the car.

You are way over thinking the slap question. Sometimes people just plain have to take the responsibility for their own actions. When they are sane, stable and of normal intelligence, they are responsible for the decisions they make.

Qc, I can see you have a very limited, primitive idea of God. I don't see God the way you do. I take credit when I know that credit is mine for my own accomplishments.

I do not believe that God punishes any human beings--ever. I do not believe God tests human beings.

If I get slapped, it's because someone decided to slap me. It has nothing to do with God.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I have no idea what you are saying. I cannot follow your logic. Sorry.

I do have a very primitive idea of all gods now ( yours isn't particularly special in the big pantheon of human creations) but I did once have a very sophisticated god who was my father and with whom I had a relationship.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I have no idea what you are saying. I cannot follow your logic. Sorry.

That's because you have convinced yourself that all gods are like the mean, evil, nasty Jehovah and/or fundy christian or muslim gods. And wow, if you had a relationship with him, no wonder you are confused. Being told God loved you, but would like to see birds peck out your eyes if didn't want to obey him perfectly, that's pretty confusing stuff.

Jehovah isn't exactly sophisticated. He's a rather violent reflection of folks who decided fear was the best way to control the masses. Combine fear with people's natural affinity towards God(s) and you've got a pretty potent way to control people. All of us former JW's are a good example of how easy it is to use fear of God to control.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

While I agree that there are shared attributes between all man made gods that isn't quite what I meant by saying I couldn't follow your argument.

I mistakenly thought your earlier post regarding prayers being answered and your book reference was about your god influencing the world through miracles ( I.e. Taking a bit of responsibility) but then you seem to have clarified that by suggesting we are totally responsible for everything we do ( god isn't punishing, testing or teaching through negative life experiences.) This is the root of my confusion since the above sums to zero.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I didn't say that God doesn't answer prayers or pleas or that he does not maneuver miracles. But finding car keys or getting us job promotions? We can't depend on God to do those things for us.

We can do things. God can do things. We intervene with our own children when it's a good idea. I believe God does, too. We also allow them to experience negative consequences of their decisions and behaviors at times. We cannot protect them from the free will of others all of the time either.

Back to the puzzle or Tetris. Things have to fit together. An action causes reactions. So to intervene has to make the most sense and not to mess up the delicate balance of things. I don't believe it's God's fault the earth is like it is. I do believe he watches over it. He allows free will to play out and intervenes when it is the wisest course of action. I also believe there are times when it's wisest to allow a situation to play its self out. I believe in a very wise, intelligent God who is pure love. And his love and interests are with every individual creature. No one is more special to him than another. He knows of all surrounding and extenuating circumstances and takes them all into account before acting.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One of the best points in the book series I mentioned is that there are miracles happening in your life. You may overlook them though and call them coincidences.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

but the bible also says that god does not answer prayers.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Pray to the FSM, your prayers will be answered. I was hungry I found a packet of pasta - MIRACLE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit