Australian campaigner concedes defeat on Working With Children checks

by MrMonroe 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/door-closes-on-jehovahs-witness-campaign/story-e6frf7jo-1226095887745

Sunday Herald Sun, Melbourne

JEHOVAH'S Witness children will continue to doorknock neighbourhoods with adults who have failed to gain police background checks after a bid to stop the practice failed this week.

Gippsland carpenter Steven Unthank, a former member of the religion who says he was abused as a teen by a church elder, was given approval by Victoria's Chief Magistrate to take the unusual step of launching a private prosecution of the religion over its refusal to require ministers to gain police checks, but says he cannot afford the $350 fee for filing the charges.

Mr Unthank yesterday said he could not pursue the religion on his own.

He said it was a disgrace that neither Victoria Police nor the Justice Department would enforce the Working With Children Act, which requires ministers of religion to gain police checks before working unsupervised with minors.

The religion's corporate arm in Australia, the Watch Tower Society, says it does not believe its ministers need to obtain background checks to work with children because they do not typically work unsupervised with children.

``It's an absolute beatup,'' a spokesman said. ``We do what we have to under law.''

But Mr Unthank said the religion's stance left thousands of Victorian children of Jehovah's Witnesses unprotected from abuse by adults as they accompanied them in cars, in private homes and in one-on-one religious instruction.

He said police seemed afraid to lay charges against a religion.

Victoria Police say they continue to have contact with Mr Unthank over his allegations and are ``seeking advice regarding potentially investigating the matter''.

A spokeswoman said: ``For any charges to be laid police must have evidence an offence has occurred.''

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

So he's dropping everything because he can't afford to spend $350????

Hmmm......

• Curtains
    Curtains

BP you are joking right?

working with lawyers and the court system is a neverending demand for money and can suck a person dry.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Broken Promises, feel free to send him money. His plan involved laying charges against FIVE corporate entities of the WTS about the failure of elders from ONE congregation to gain WWC checks. The $350 fee would have been just the start. He would have been left to file all papers himself and probably prosecute the case in court himself. As a carpenter.

He was hoping that his actions would prod Victoria Police or the Director of Public Prosecutions into taking over the case. Unfortunately neither has shown much interest.

He has done what he can: gained some publicity and raised public attention about the fact that one religion believes it is above the law. But look, if you think he's failed, feel free to lend a hand or take over. If you think protection for defenceless children of Jehovah's Witnesses is a good cause.

• sizemik
    sizemik

It's failed in the short term . . . but it's not necessarily over. Australia seems to have a problem in the JW ranks every bit as real as anywhere else . . . it's only a matter of time before a molestation case breaks . . . and then the Police with "fresh evidence" can be lobbied to act . . . there will be the "we told you so factor".

It was always going to be hard to get conformation from the JW's without being able to furnish fresh and compelling evidence, rather than historical anecdotal evidence, and in some weighty form, in order to compell the Police to act. But the situation still remains "primed" to some degree. Call it "setting the stage" perhaps . . . but the JW's are going to have to be on their best behavior or look out!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I have enough of my own debts to worry about someone else's.

It just seems so petty to give it up over a $350 fee after going to all this work. If he believes in this so much, why can't he put it on a credit card and pay it off?

Out of interest, Mr Monroe, how much are you prepared to give Mr Unthank to carry on with his quest?

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Not a cent, BP. He's made an impact already and maybe that's as far as he's prepared to go now. Maybe that's all he was ever going to do. Maybe financial reality has set in, or the realisation that without government support it all becomes futile: one man against a global religious empire with millions of dollars in assets and lawyers in tow.

Unlike you though, I don't sneer at him for pulling out.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Reader comments on the website already show his cause has public sympathy.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Unlike you though, I don't sneer at him for pulling out.

I'm not sneering, it's just that it seems incredulous that he's pulling out over such a relatively insignificant amount. It the amount was even $3,500 I could *somewhat* understand, but it just seems such a pithy amount after all the work he's put into it. That's all.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I think that's just the filing fee BP . . . once he lays the charges for a private prosecution, he still remains on his own to carry through the prosecution to it's conclusion. I think it's more a case of not being able to afford the whole thing, so the $350 statement may be a bit misleading.

Thanks for the link Mr M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit