assemblies and alcohol

by pedal power 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pedal power
    pedal power

Our DC coming up this weekend, I hated them and the only thing that kept me going ,was the reward of booze at the end of each day.My then wife,zelous judgemental pioneer, you know the type,not only droned on about my drinking, but about everyones drinking, a real barrel of laughs NOT. Anyway, one year we went to another DC, in Newcastle, all seemed to be going well, until lunch.We went over to a hotel for lunch,I ordered my fresh orange and food, a few minutes later, the local JW,s arrived for lunch, They had all pr-ordered drinks,Alcoholic Drinks, and not one drink but many !!! They were buisy getting boozed up for the afternoon session,Way To Go, I was about to join them, When my wife told me " Dont even think about it ", anyway she was outraged, but there they were ,with thier little convention badges, men and women, young and old, getting merry, They dont even do that here in Scotland, !!!

Anyone else seen stuff like this , or is this practice unique to Newcastle ?

• designs
    designs

There was Beer at some of the Assemblies in Europe circa 1970.

• cantleave
    cantleave

When was in my late teens - my friends would regularly get a bevvies during the break - this was at Southampton. But it was not "approved" and some of my friends were told it was not acceptable. I was on the sound team and never drank during the sessions. I waited till afterwards.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

In Spain it was absolutely normal to have wine or beer with lunch. If the elders were doing it, it must be okay, right?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I know of a couple sisters who carried rum in a flask.

• hoser
    hoser

some of my friends brought in a cooler full of beer and sat at the very top row of the stadium and got tanked up. they poured it into travel mugs and no one was the wiser except for bud.

they all faded shortly after that.

Hoser

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You were in Newcastle and it wasn't acceptable to have a newcastle? Hell, jesus used wine TO preach.

• eva luna
    eva luna

In the late 80's to mid 90's it was alcohlol at my DC. But it sure made it hard to stay AWAKE! during that long afternoon session. Alot of extreme drinking after too. I was always surprised to see who even made it to the morning sessions on time.

Mid 90's there was alot of was Xanax popping with Redbull chasers . Or if you were fortunate enough to sit next to the sweet, crazy, annointed sister with ADD, she passed out Ritalin like candy if anyone looked sleepy.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Here in The States it was announced throughout the convention days.

At the outset of the sessions the speaker would say: "Do not bring alcoholic beverages to the

convention site during the sessions." Before dismissal for lunch they announce: "Do not order

drinks that contain alcohol during the noon break." Then at the end of each day said: "Please

exercise caution when consuming alcoholic drinks at restaurants", and to "not over drink at

your Hotel's bar, or back at your hotel room." Scriptural quotes followed these "admonishments",

and they became part of the basic announcements around the year 2007. While standing,

a lot of those/us in attendances would jest or point at one another jokingly.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Isn't Newcastle the drinking capital of Britain?

It seemed like every year, straight after the DC, someone in my congo would get a PR for getting drunk afterwards and we'd have a local needs talk about it. I remember one year, it was an elder's son that got PR and this particular elder actually gave the LN talk all the while staring furiously through his half moon specs directly at his son who was flushed bright red with embarassment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit