Is immorality escalating?

by jworld 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If someone is doing something that doesn't hurt me, I really don't care. I don't care who people are having sex with as long as it's consensual. I don't care if they drop F bombs. The idea of a word being bad or good is so contrived I don't even know how it even started. I think we do have to accept in this society that some speech is considered lower than others and there are consequences---but bad or immoral? What do I care how people talk and their word choice. I don't have to let my children go to movies that disturb me and my sense of appropriate, but I certainly don't care if other children get to go or get to star in those movies.

Back in the good old days women couldn't vote, they could be abused, children could be work in unhealthy and unsafe conditions, African Americans could be enslaved and later discriminated against--those are the things that really matter. I'd say this country has become quite a bit more moral.

NC

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

* 50 million abortions since Roe vs. Wade in 1973

- You think abortions weren't practiced before 1973? The fact that it can now be done in a safe manner without endangering public health is a benefit. It's also a benefit that less children are orphaned because their parents didn't want them in the first place. And who defines abortion as immoral in the first place? Did you know nature by itself aborts about 20% of all conceptions? If the growth inside a woman's body can't survive outside the body, can it be considered a person?

* Infanticide in countries that limit the amount children a married couple can have (read: males only)

- I think that has largely stopped. Off course these are usually caused by ideological (religious) thinking, not logical, reasonable people.

* Marriage being redefined

- As to what? Marriage is the contract between two people as to property. If you don't like certain people marrying (blacks and whites for example) you should go back to the 60's.

* Organ harvesting happening in countries such as China and Belgium

- Illegal organ harvesting in Belgium? Do you know where Belgium is or were you watching Fox News? Legal organ harvesting is done in the US as well (check your drivers license if you want to participate) and saves a lot of people. Off course there are always people making money off criminal things, doesn't mean the world is becoming a worse place because of it. In the long term you could see it as evolution.

* Euthanasia being sold to the public as "mercy killing"

- Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's immoral. Euthanasia is a valid way of ending suffering on your own terms. I think it would be more immoral to prevent somebody from doing so based on religious ideologies. Again, it's a way of nature, sick and old animals go off to secluded places to die or position themselves as prey in order to save the healthy and the young ones from predators.

• TDaze
    TDaze

Euthanasia being sold to the public as "mercy killing".

I just love how the assumption that euthanasia is wrong is made a priori.

I think you are right, Anony Mouse. This is Fox News language. Nowhere else can you pick up such twisted nonsense. Hell, according to them, liberals are doing it wrong because Amsterdam is very liberal and is a cesspool of corruption and crime; it's anarchy!

See for yourself:

See?!

• flipper
    flipper

" Is immorality escalating ? " It depends who's doing it. People have always boinked since the beginning of time. My guess- probably about the same

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

That depends on ones definition of immorality.

When you consider Sodom and Gomorrah, ancient Rome, etc, I dont think that humanity is any different today, than ever before.

• wobble
    wobble

Who sets the moral standard ? In the case of the U.S it seems to be right-wing old fossils.

Here in the U.K there is a similar influence, but they are fighting against a populace who wish to see freedom for people to do as they please, as long as that does not hurt another person.

According to the W.T, everything that they do not approve of is immoral, who are they to set the standard ? what is their moral record ?

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Watchtower Questions From Readers 1st Sept 1958,

Is it not true that only pessimists and alarmist say there is a moral breakdown in the world today?-J. G., United States.

Many individuals sincerely believe that nothing has happened to morals, that morals are no worse now than at any other time. Yet other well-informed persons who are really in position to evaluate present conditions cite today's blindness and callousness over corrupt government, business and sex practices as proof that society's morals have collapsed.

Gerald Heard, in his book The Third Morality, said: "No one can look at civilization today without the liveliest concern. That is a truism-a truism so painfully obvious that we have ceased to be able to respond to it." A prominent news columnist wrote: "What is happening to us is essentially a moral collapse. The gap between what we pretend to believe and what we do in practice has been constantly widening." Clergyman R. J. McCracken pointedly asks: "Is the moral tone of the nation-its politics, its business life, its literature, its theatre, its movies, its radio networks, its television stations-Christian?" Wherever you look morals are missing. Howard Vincent O'Brien is quoted as saying: "We strive to get as much as possible for doing as little as possible. . . . Simple honesty is rare enough for amazed comment. The thief has become respectable. The shadow of corruption hangs over the land. And poor witless clowns think they can do something about it by making agreements and passing laws. But the soul of man is sick. It will take more than this to cure him."

These are the words, not of pessimists and alarmists, but of clear-thinking men who are aware of conditions and are concerned about world trends. Christendom's moral breakdown was accurately portrayed in Bible prophecy. Isaiah wrote: "Justice is turned away backward, and righteousness standeth afar off; for truth is fallen in the street." "The whole head [of Christendom and of the world] is sick, and the whole heart faint. From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it." The international immorality is a warning sign of this world's complete collapse at Armageddon.-Isa. 59:14; 1:3-6, AS.?

• TDaze
    TDaze

I love the argument from authority they make. "Gerald Heard"? Who is he to decide that it is a "truism" that nobody can look at the world without being concerned? So I wikipedia'd the man.

He maintained a regular discipline of meditation, along the lines of yoga, for many years. In the 1950s, Heard tried LSD and felt that, used properly, it had strong potential to 'enlarge Man's mind' by allowing a person to see beyond his ego.

Does the WTS really want to be taking viewpoints from someone who does yoga and is on LSD? (Well, was, the man is dead now, obviously.)

After quoting some more people, they just blindly assert that these are "clear-thinking men". But isn't that the question of reader? That it's just alarmist talk? The WTS just say "NO!" and doesn't actually give any evidence whatsoever. On the contrary, it continues to talk about "the moral breakdown of Christianity" - when this was never even hinted at, neither in the question, nor in the quotations, nor even in the bible - a book which is bullshit anyway.

Close off with some threats and fearmongering and call it a day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit