"5 Myths Atheists Believe about Religion"

by leavingwt 22 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I think this article provides enough red meat for an interesting discussion. As the title suggests, the author discusses five main points.

Below, I've quoted one of his five points.

1. All Religions are the Same and are “Equally Crazy”

Many atheists often claim that they are wrongly accused of not understanding the differences between religions. “Of course we do!” I’ve heard them say. But yet this is meaningless unless they are willing to treat these differences differently. Case and point is the latest article from Greta Christina where she asks, “Are All Religions Equally Crazy?” and answers a resounding, Yes. She describes a number of strange Mormon beliefs and practices, but then realizes that other religions aren’t any better. If her point was to illustrate that some religions have strange beliefs, she succeeded. She concludes,

But all religions are out of touch with reality. All religions are implausible, based on cognitive biases, and unsupported by any good evidence whatsoever. All of them ultimately rely on faith — i.e., an irrational attachment to a pre-existing idea regardless of any evidence that contradicts it — as the core foundation of their belief. All of them contort, ignore, or deny reality in order to maintain their attachment to their faith.

This conclusion is simply false. Her reasoning sweeps up all religious expressions including those which aren’t reliant upon any supernatural beliefs, miracles or magical claims. For example, by using the term “all religions” she conflates a church attending atheist Unitarian Universalist with a Bible believing, homophobic theist. The venerable Vietnamese Buddhist religious leader Thich Nhat Hanh becomes synonymous with Pat Robertson simply because they are both religious leaders. Dr. King is in the same category as Osama Bin Laden. Deists are conflated with theists. Those who reject literal religious claims are placed in the same category who believe snakes talked in the Bible. Christina leaves no room for religious people who are tolerant, non-believers or those who view religion metaphorically. Writing an article that concludes all religions are equally crazy is like saying that all Americans are nationalists and imperialists and then pointing to the part of the population that supports U.S. wars.

Where is the evidence that many of these atheists can make any meaningful distinctions between religions? It’s one thing to make the claim but where is the recognition of humanistic, non-literal and progressive religious traditions? Hitchens calls Unitarianism rats and vermin. Christina calls all religions equally crazy. Dawkins says the teachings of moderate religion lead to extremism. Harris claims that moderates are responsible for much of the conflict in the world. If there were any serious attempts to show they know the difference between religions, these leaders in the movement would have exhibited it by now. But time and time again all we get from these prominent atheists something akin to “all religions are equally crazy.”

I think we can move beyond the religion = crazy/atheism = dangerous dichotomy that so dominates our day. To do so we must honestly examine the myths and misunderstandings of both positions. Genuine dialogue between the religious and non-religious is possible. We are better at finding points of agreement politically, socially and ideologically and seeking common ground to organize around. We certainly won’t agree on everything, but in the end all parties should leave more knowledgeable and better prepared to deal with the way religion impacts our everyday lives and the global sphere.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2011/06/20/23128/

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

a church attending atheist Unitarian Universalist

This is me because I like the community and humanist nature of the group. And there is no pressure, so I'm comfortable. Religious people really don't need to worry about how atheists view their religion. I suspect some of us think all religions are crazy and some of us can actually attend a UU without feeling conflict. My pre-existing idea and core foundation is to be the best human I can and I like having a group of like minded individuals to do it with. Nothing irrational about that.

Seems like we are more a mystery to them than they to us.

NC

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Religions can be equally crazy without having to say that adherents to them are equally batsht. Everyone has their own reason why they believe/convince themselves they believe. Crazy is just how it looks from a rational objective viewpoint.

Religious people - speaking very generally - are by far and away the most sophisticated wordsmiths when they feel a need to justify their reason for being right in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If religion and religious people were really THAT bad, you guys would be in a LOT of trouble, LOL !

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Qcmbr called me a wordsmith. I take offense to that.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That article fails from the title onward. #5 is a collection of people he talks about, # 2 is about atheists, 1, 3 and 4 are repeats of what he already said in 5.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Atheists making friends and influencing people.

And no, this is not "The Onion." (I'll excerpt the first part)

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

A group of New York City atheists is demanding that the city remove a street sign honoring seven firefighters killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks because they say the sign violates the separation of church and state.

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

“There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain,” said Ken Bronstein, president of New York City Atheists. “It’s really insulting to us.” Bronstein told Fox News Radio that his organization was especially concerned with the use of the word “heaven.” “We’ve concluded as atheists there is no heaven and there’s no hell,” he said.

“And it’s a totally religious statement. It’s a question of separation of church and state.” He was nonplussed over how his opposition to the street sign might be perceived – especially since the sign is honoring fallen heroes. “It’s irrelevant who it’s for,” Bronstein said. “We think this is a very bad thing,”

David Silverman, president of American Atheists, agreed calling on the city to remove the sign. “It implies that heaven actually exists,” Silverman told Fox News Radio.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/21/new-york-atheists-angry-over-heaven-street-sign-honoring-11victims/?test=latestnews

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ botchtower society: I think that article is ludicrous. There are bigger things to worry about than what a street is named. I couldn't care less. If all of those 7 firefighters were believers, then the sign would be fitting because it honors what THEY believed. I think some people (atheists included) like to nitpick on stupid things just to stir the pot. I also think that if an atheist group would like to honor those fallen heroes, they should do so in their own way. If not, then STFU and let people honor them. At least they're being honored and not forgotten!!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

EntirelyPossible:

That article fails from the title onward. #5 is a collection of people he talks about

Do you disagree with his summary of #5?

". . . but to state my point simply, the more rational and tolerant uses of science, religion, medicine or government cannot be blamed for the destructive and harmful uses of them."

• bohm
    bohm

leavingwt: I read that and wonder who really blame rational and tolerant uses of religion or medicine for the harmful ones. I am certainly not convinced the quoted authors would agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit