A few notes on September 15, 2011 Watchtower, fresh off the presses!

by sd-7 41 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

September 15th, 2011 Watchtower, page 28, paragraph 13:

"If a human overseer in God's organization provides you with instructions that seem extremely detailed, you might at times feel frustrated. Jehovah, however, is a perfect overseer who delegates generously and trusts his servants. When he gives many details, he does so for good reason. Take note, though, that Moses did not become irritated with Jehovah for giving that level of detail, as if Jehovah were demeaning him or stifling his creativity or freedom. Rather, Moses made sure that the workers "did just so" in following God's directions. (Ex. 39:32) What a humble course! Moses recognized that it was Jehovah's work and that he was just a tool used to get that work done."

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up. So Jehovah wants us to report how many hours, books, booklets, and return visits we made FOR A GOOD REASON! Even though the early Christians never did anything of the kind, and nowhere in the Bible is there a precedent for Christians to do that. Obviously there's no human reason to do that, right? And all those instructions in the publications are all there because, what, God gave the Governing Body a vision for what theocratic procedures should be followed? If you can't wear a beard, that's for a good reason! God decided there'd be no more beards! Jesus had to shave HIS up in heaven--seriously!

Also, just remember that you're a TOOL being USED to get the work done. Hey, I get it. Say no more!

But this kind of reasoning is a blank check for them to give literally any direction and for it to be perceived as coming from God rather than men. And they've certainly put that power to good use.

Pages 12-13 give a lovely tale of Jean-Claude, whose manager tells him to work on meeting nights or else. Naturally, the manager gets fired, which must be a sign from above that going to the meetings was the right choice. As opposed to the manager coincidentally stealing from the business or coming in late or something like that.

And hey, here's Andrew on pages 13-14, who quits his job because he's in a "nonneutral organization", even though he has a wife and two children. There's a good idea. But he saved up enough money to last a few months, apparently from his nonneutral job, so he managed, 'with Jehovah's help'. Wasn't he 'storing up treasures for himself' by doing that? Why not donate all that nonneutral money to the Society? I'm joking, they'd never encourage that... I do wonder how Jehovah helped him, exactly? Maybe it's in the article they reference in the footnote; I wonder if anyone in the congregation gave him money, paid his bills, so on? The anecdotes always leave a lot of blanks where the miraculous details should be.

Page 14, paragraph 14: "How do you react when Jehovah, the Source of spiritual enlightenment, sheds light on the 'deep things of God' found in the Bible?" They go into an example of how Peter reacted to Jesus' words in John chapter 6.

Then in paragraph 15: "Peter did not fully understand what Jesus said about eating His flesh and drinking His blood. But the apostle relied on God for spiritual enlightenment. When spiritual light on some matter gets brighter, do you try to understand the underlying Scriptural reasons for the adjustment? (Prov. 4:18) The first-century Beroeans received the word "with eagerness of mind, carefully examining the scriptures daily." (Acts 17:11)"

So there's a lot going on with this reasoning. The first and most obvious thing is that 'the faithful and discreet slave' is not even mentioned this time. God is the one referred to as giving spiritual enlightenment. Nice little sleight of hand, there. Since you're already assuming it's from God, then obviously it won't turn on any light bulbs, forgiving the expression, in your head at all.

Asking 'do you try to understand the Scriptural reasons for the adjustment?' is an underhanded way of saying once more, the adjustment can't be wrong, if anything it's just that you don't understand it.

Worst of all is the clever quote of Acts 17:11, where the Beroeans carefully examined the scriptures daily. Oh wait, that's not the entire verse. The rest of that sentence says "AS TO WHETHER THESE THINGS WERE SO." Why not include that part? Because YOU'RE not examining the scriptures as to whether these things are so! THEY ARE SO! WE SAID SO! You're just examining the scriptures to make sure YOU understand it the way WE TELL YOU to understand it. The only problem that could possibly arise here is a case of you, lame-brain, not understanding the deep, spiritual knowledge that GOD has given US to share with YOU! Oh, right, we're not in the equation in this article--it's from God, period. Dude, this generation overlaps with another generation that's decades older--it's RIGHT THERE in the Bible! The feet and toes mean nothing--it's RIGHT THERE! Don't you see it??

Page 15, paragraph 17 tells about a single sister whose unbelieving mom tries to convince her to marry just anyone who comes along. "I asked her if she wanted to be responsible if my marriage turned out badly. In time, she saw that I had a stable job, was taking care of myself, and was happy. She stopped pressuring me." Wow! She has a stable job and can take care of herself?? Where were all those sisters hiding in my area??? Anyway, how would her mother be responsible if HER marriage turned out badly? Isn't it YOUR job to maintain [or end] a marriage, not your parents' job? That's just dumb reasoning. It actually sounds passive-aggressive to me--a more direct response would've been, look, I don't like that guy and don't want to marry just anyone, I'll get married when I find someone that I feel is right for me. Maybe it's just me that sees it that way...

There are a few gems in the latest article, but I'm sure those who have a chance will toss them about quite soon. In closing, I quote the loving words of page 26, paragraph 8: "Marriage, having children, and good health are all natural and appropriate desires." Aww...see? They do care about us! And if you read the context of that paragraph, you'll get to appreciate that they're right! Apostates DO take their words out of context!!! AAAAAAAAAAH!! SSS!! SSS!! Back away, you son of the devil! You son of a rebellious MAID! Back away from me-e-e-e!!

So, any comments? It was actually kind of fun this time.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

What? No comments? Come on, dudes! I'm throwing you gold, man!

--sd-7

• truthlover
    truthlover

A slight of the hand trick... again and again.... no one will pick up these references... I have sat in so many meetings where I have studied the lesson and made note of what should be commented on as a very important point and it's not even mentioned.. they read from the paragraph now, no thought, no insight, just parroting the words.. once in a while an ex elder or person on disability who has time to research will give a deep though provoking answer and it is so refreshing... otherwise, your talking to the choir -- no real personal perspectives anymore -if you do you are pointed out as being" something wrong with their comments"!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Elder + GB = Jehovah God

So JG really is an uncaring, slave-driving, pedant!

• Terry
    Terry

The Watchtower is the sockpuppet for Jehovah.

But, listening to an old sock go on and on about what you should do and what you shouldn't do is demeaning.

So, the funky old stocking blah blah blahs until we all want to go barefoot.

Some of us. The rest end up with advanced Athlete's Foot and must endure the itch for God's greater glory.

Jeeze, what life of joy and fulfillment we here all gave up!!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

It's been viewed 106 times at this present moment, sd-7. I think ypu'll find that all 106 are busy downloading it for themselves and reading it with dropping jaws hitting the floor, or else wiping tears of laughter as they course down the cheeks.

I'm throwing you gold, man!

You did indeed. Masterly!

Gems I've especially noticed, as I've read through, are the insistent inclusion of WT buzzwords into what belongs to pure scripture. Thus, p. 27, paragraph 11, "Moses and Korah stand in sharp contrast when it comes to respect for Jehovah's arrangement". P. 28, paragraph 13, "Jehovah, however, is a perfect overseer". (!) Such presumption!

Then, on p. 29, paragraph 16, "Waiting on Jehovah and following directions from those appointed to take the lead requires humility." That is a hair's breadth from putting "those appointed to take the lead" on a par with Jehovah.

The illustration on that page is captioned ""Are you known by Jehovah as one who humbly submits to direction?" How very different from the loving Father described by Jesus, the God without whose knowledge not even a sparrow falls to the ground, who counts the very hairs on our head, who loved us so much he gave his only Son to die for us!

See that paragraph 9 on p 27? That list showing "how unwise it would be to seek to fulfil these desires in a way contrary to godly wisdom" (the desires they've already described as natural.) Shock, horror, "forms of health care that conflict with Jehovah's counsel." How untruthful. Not Jehovah's counsel at all, but their perversion of the Bible. I won't list them all, but of course they include a romantic relationship with an unbeliever. I'm sure Jehovah can be made to say that too. By them.

They're desperate.

I am coming to the conclusion that the GB, faithful and discreet slave and the whole WT caboodle are becoming increasingly divorced from reality, becoming, collectively, stark staring bonkers, more bonkers than ever, and growing completely paranoid to boot. They are hung up on power. They're manic. And that's dangerous.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Pages 12-13 give a lovely tale of Jean-Claude, whose manager tells him to work on meeting nights or else. Naturally, the manager gets fired, which must be a sign from above that going to the meetings was the right choice. As opposed to the manager coincidentally stealing from the business or coming in late or something like that.

They shoot themselves in the foot everytime with these ridiculous, unbelievable articles. Could this kind of lying be considered journalistic plagiarism?

Page 15, paragraph 17 tells about a single sister whose unbelieving mom tries to convince her to marry just anyone who comes along. "I asked her if she wanted to be responsible if my marriage turned out badly. In time, she saw that I had a stable job, was taking care of myself, and was happy. She stopped pressuring me."

I think this paragraph had a different intent then what it appears to be on the surface. This had nothing to do with incompatable relationships, but everything to do with the throngs of single for life women you'll find in every congregation. These women will be single for as long as they're in this organization because of the WT's internal cult interpretation of 1 Cor 7:39, to marry only in the Lord, which in WT land means marry only another Jehovah's Witness, as all other Christians are enemies of the Lord. The message in this paragraph is that you don't need to be married to be happy, which to some extent is true. However, considering all the single sisters I've known amongst JWs, plenty of them are pretty darn miserable being single, and knowing they'll probably die that way. The plagiarized sister in the paragraph was happy being single and taking care of herself, and the only thing that surprises me about her is that she's not pioneering. Oh well, I guess even those lying scumbags in the Writing Department can only exert so much pressure on their readers at a time.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Mmmmmmm.... sniffing the fresh e-ink on my iPostatePad even as we speak....

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Okay, this is a good one....
    From 'Are You Letting Jehovah Be Your Share?'

"3, 4. What fine example have faithful anointed ones set?
    3 Like the priests and Levites of old, anointed ones today view their service as a privilege. (Num. 18:20) The anointed do not expect to be given some territory or location on earth as a possession."

Are these the same "anointed" who in the previous installment were possibly having an 'emotional or mental imbalance' and who we really don't care how many there are anyway?
    Certainly a fine example!

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Oh, it certainly is fresh.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit