New here. I was robbed of an education

by AnthonyMorrisXIII 28 Replies latest jw friends

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Welcome to this wonderful forum. I did not become a history teacher and stopped my education because of the WTS 1975 predictions. What a loss in my educational goals. The end did not come as the WTS said.

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

Welcome!

It's never too late to go back to school. When my sister graduated with her BS the oldest person graduating was 75 or 76. Not sure what country you are in but you can check out junior or community colleges if they have them or something like them where you live. You can expose yourself to a variety of disciplines at a lower cost than going to a regular university. Education is education, you don't have to pursue a degree if you don't want to, you can just take courses that interest you.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! Are your kids still in? Have you thought about going back to school?

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome to the board! Looking forward to your future posts.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome! Similar experience here as yours though I was raised in the US and was of the 70's/80's generation ( which in WTSpeak means we're of the SAME GENERATION! Amazing!)
    Looking back, I seriously cannot recall a single day my witness mother did not beat the crap out of me. Not only was this encouraged by the congregation, but one elder actually lent my mother a wooden spoon/paddle/ beating instrument to get the job done more effectively!
    With regards to higher education, I was on the fast track to college with great grades, honors classes and an 'unbelieving' yet proud, supportive and loving father. Yet my mother/elders/piosneers pressured me relentlessly to pioneer and so I did...
    However....
    This never extinguished my desire to learn, and I continued to 'self educate' throughout the years. When I 'woke up' last year, the first thing I thought to myself was' "Shit! I've got to get myself back to school! I've got so much more to learn and do in my life!"
    Long story short, fall semester begins in just a few months!

• cult classic
    cult classic

he last elder to bug me for a field service slip was answered thus: “well I don’t have any field service to report brother (pause), but if you really want, I can give you a slip with zeros in all the columns”,

Welcome AM - ^ ROFL. Being a smart ass is good for the soul sometimes.

• cult classic
    cult classic
    When I 'woke up' last year, the first thing I thought to myself was' "Shit! I've got to get myself back to school! I've got so much more to learn and do in my life!"
    Long story short, fall semester begins in just a few months!

BOC - LOL

• AnthonyMorrisXIII
    AnthonyMorrisXIII

A final thank you to all who posted a welcome message. I'm encouraged by your positive comments, thank you.

To those who asked direct inquiries,

to Zero: I'm in SE Europe.

to Jamie: Further education for adults doesn't really exist around here. Thinking to take my savings and enroll in a UK university.

One son is inactive, although not sure if he has examined his beliefs. The other son is fully commited. For the moment I don't intend to influence either of them, but I definitely won't be asleep to any doubts they might express.

Cheers

AM

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I once followed a group because my parents thought it was the right thing to do. I love my parents and respect them very much. That path was full of adventures and memories that I choose to be proud of.

At some point I realized that I wasn't happy and fullfilled. It took me years to find my own path because I was told that choosing my own path would only bring harm to myself.

I live a very happy life now because I choose not to be bitter. I empower myself and refuse to give my power away to some intellectually challenged religious elitest or some charity-case elder. Ask yourself: "What elder actually qualifies to serve as an elder?"

My advice to anyone is to not give your power away, it belongs to you. No one is worthy of it. It belongs to you and if you choose to give it away for any reason; your happiness goes with it. Hopefully, it will be the right decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit