Old Witnessy Pics

by snugglebunny 34 Replies latest jw friends

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

So what have you got?

I'll start.

1958 aboard steamship Arosa Star, English and German JW's bound for New York for 8 day assembly at Yankee Stadium.

• Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y
    You could see the room is just full of Holy Spirit and flatulence.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow
    mine wont upload, waited ten minuets. how did you upload yours?
  • Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

How many would do that today?

• millie210
    millie210

Love the pic snugglebunny!

Looks like that was a fun time to be a Witness - unlike today....

• kewpie
    kewpie
    I believe that's where my older sister was baptized. The convention was so large it spilled over onto the Polo Grounds. The religious fervor was at an all time high.

I remember stories of eating meals from vending machines. The over easy eggs for breakfast were not a hit!
  • Gayle
    Gayle

wow,, we stayed on a ship in '58 during the assembly. We traveled across U.S. from California, hot with no air conditioning back then. Back then, I think we had huge bumper sticker for car to advertise the conventions. Had no confirmation of a motel. Got in NY,, sat for a long time (seemed long for me, for me only being 11 yrs old with 3 younger siblings, ages 9, 4 and 2, with our parents) waiting. The WT got an okay for many of us waiting to stay on a ship, docked during the week. Our room was 4 bunkbeds w/sink, certainly not anything upscale . A huge sharing bathroom with individual compartments for toilet and shower. All the travelers from the ship from Europe had rooming on land. My brother and I loved discovering the wonderment of the ship, of course.

I need to find out more. But the trip was hard for my mom I remember. The heat in NY city then was miserable. The first day on the ship didn't have the air flow on yet for the bunkers. The 2-year old not potty trained yet.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Gayle, there were 3 Watchtower chartered ships docked in NY harbour at the time of the 1958 assembly, the Arosa Star, Arosa Kulm and Arosa Sun.
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Here's another pic I found in my Mum's effects. It's outside the old UK bethel at Craven Terrace, London.

Bottom left is Stan Reynolds who I remember as becoming a kindly CO, top right Stanley Jones who was to be imprisoned along with Harold King as I recall.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

snugglebunny: So what have you got?

Old photos are great, snugglebunny. These photos are from my family collection as well.

A JW conscientious objector at a work camp in British Columbia, Canada, during WW2 (he is showing what they got for lunch - two slices of bread with a wee dab of jam in the middle):

Sandwich board advertising in rural Canada post WW2:

How field service was done in rural Canada post WW2:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit