The parable of the sheep and the goats!

by TimothyT 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I was reading again the parapble Jesus spoke to his disciples about the sheep and goats. When i read it, it was plain and simple in my eyes.

34 “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, YOU who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for YOU from the founding of the world. 35 For I became hungry and YOU gave me something to eat; I got thirsty and YOU gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and YOU received me hospitably; 36 naked, and YOU clothed me. I fell sick and YOU looked after me. I was in prison and YOU came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty, and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked, and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to you?’ 40 And in reply the king will say to them, ‘Truly I say to YOU, To the extent that YOU did it to one of the least of these my brothers, YOU did it to me.’ (Matthew 25:34-40)

If you want to enter into the kingdom, you must show unconditional, practical love and care for Jesus brothers, irrespective of who they are.

But, then i did some research on how the JW's view this scripture. The following quotes are from the Watchtower, 15 Oct, 1995, pages 24-26:

8 Obviously, the sheep judged worthy of being on Jesus’ right side of honor and favor represent a class of humans. (Ephesians 1:20; Hebrews 1:3) What did they do and when? Jesus says that they kindly, respectfully, and generously gave him food, drink, and clothing, aiding him when he was sick or in prison. When the sheep say that they had not done this to Jesus personally, he points out that they did support his spiritual brothers, the remnant of anointed Christians, so in that sense they did it to him.

10 Is Jesus saying that everyone doing a small kindness to one of his brothers, such as offering a piece of bread or a glass of water, qualifies as one of these sheep? Granted, rendering such kindnesses may reflect human kindness, but really, it seems that much more is involved with the sheep of this parable. Jesus was hardly referring, for example, to atheists or clergymen who happen to do a kind act to one of his brothers. On the contrary, Jesus twice called the sheep “righteous ones.” (Matthew 25:37, 46) So the sheep must be ones who over a period of time have come to the aid of—actively supporting—Christ’s brothers and have exercised faith to the extent of receiving a righteous standing before God.

14 However, Jesus’ judgment will not be based on desperate claims from former churchgoers, atheists, or others. (2 Thessalonians 1:8) Instead, the judge will review the heart condition and past actions of people toward even “one of these least ones [of his brothers].” Admittedly, the number of anointed Christians left on earth is declining. However, as long as the anointed, making up “the faithful and discreet slave,” continue to provide spiritual food and direction, prospective sheep have an opportunity to do good to the slave class, just as the ‘great crowd out of all nations and tribes and peoples’ have done.—Revelation 7:9, 14.

So, it appears to me that JW's view 'Jesus brothers' as the annointed, and the sheep are those who aid them in fulfilling their spiritual objectives.

Trying to analyse the JW view on these scriptures, i cant see how they make their claims, as they are not supported with evidence or even logical reasoning. They just make assumptions and then expect everyone to fall in line. Also, i believe these scriptures, and this article have been used to manipulate JW's into feeling obligated to serve the FDS class.

Have the given a valid interpretation or are they just twisting the scripture to secure their power?

Timmy x

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Ever since I began to really see what JW's taught on this subject, I have been intrigued by it.

Here is a discussion you might want to look into, if your interested. Who are the least of these brethren?

Also, another interesting one is Earthly & Heavenly classes.

Post #5 from "Who are the least of these brethren?"

“Your attitude toward the ‘wheatlike anointed brothers’ of Christ and the treatment you accord them, will be the determining factor as to whether you go into ‘everlasting cutting-off’ or receive everlasting life.” (Watchtower, August 1, 1981, p. 26)

To me, the crux of the matter is in Ephesians 4:4-6 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope(highlight mine) when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

One hope, not two. Although I honestly don't subscribe to Christianity, I believe they contradict this verse.

• tec
    tec

Timothy, I believe you have it. It is very simple. It is a very simple passage and even a child (or especially a child) would understand. The JW twist muddies it up and perverts the simple message, leading astray those who might not have been deceived otherwise.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To focus on the part that says " My brothers" in the parable is really quite interesting since the core of the parable is nto about that, but about the unselfish acts that we do with NO THOUGHT of recompense.

In this parable we see the acts of Grace that Christ deems worthy:

For I became hungry and YOU gave me something to eat; I got thirsty and YOU gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and YOU received me hospitably; 36 naked, and YOU clothed me. I fell sick and YOU looked after me. I was in prison and YOU came to me.’

Very similar to how James states that carrying for those that can't care for themselves is the hallmark of Christ in our lives.

We also see HOW those acts are performed by the "righteous':

Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty, and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked, and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to you?’

Note that the "righteous" are surpised that they did these things to Christ and that he noticed them.

These were acts done out of grace, not with any thought of recompense or any thought about who they were being done too.

That is far more the point of the parable than who Jesus's brothers were.

Jesus made it clear that he considered ALL that keep his word and love are his brothers.

• sir82
    sir82
    you must show unconditional, practical love and care for Jesus brothers, irrespective of who they are.

That of course, as you mentioned, is the simple point of Jesus' teaching.

While the WT articles try to complicate things, the Bible itself, heck, the same book of the Bible, tells you exactly who Jesus' brothers are:

Matthew 12:48-50

New International Version (NIV)

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Odd, isn't it? No mention of "spiritual brothers" or "faithful and discreet slave" or "faithful steward" or "anointed" or "144,000" or "remnant"....just a nice, simple "whoever".

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

What they're basically saying is the only way to salvation is to trip over themselves trying to serve the GB. The least of Jesus' brothers instead applies to all of our fellow humans. It is just another way of saying "Oneness". The goats are, adversely, all about "Me-ness".

There's going to be hell to pay when the R & F finds out these hooligans have been pulling their chains. I heard they have secret underground bunkers for that.

• tec
    tec

Sir82 -

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Here a some "Service to Others" scriptures....

Gal 5:13 -- For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Gal 5:14 -- For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Gal 5:22 -- But the fruit of the Spirit is LOVE, joy, peace, LONGSUFFERING, GENTLENESS , GOODNESS, faith,

Gal 6:2 -- Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the
    law of Christ .

Mk 10:43 -- But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: 44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. 45 For even the
    Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Joh 13:14 -- If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
    Act 20:35 -- I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. Rom 15:1 -- We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. 1 Cor 9:19 -- For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 1 Cor 13:4 -- Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 2 Cor 4:5 -- For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Cor 12:15 -- And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. 1 Thes 1:3 -- Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; James 2:15 -- If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 1 Jn 3:16 -- Hereby perceive we the love of God , because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? 18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Christianity as always been about serving OTHERS and not about others serving US, as the WT demands of thier followers.

AMazing thing that you will not find ONE passage of actually preaching being held ABOVE the acts of taking care of others.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Such fine thoughts from everyone!

Prodigal, you are a hoot.

I never subscribed to the WT interpretation of that parable.

Never.

One thing that jolted me is that both groups call him "Lord."

We Christians better keep that in mind.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit