How big is a demon?

by Terry 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The above graphic reminds me of a sign at the Bronx Zoo when I was young. Perhaps it is still there. As I walked from animal group to group,, I noticed this immense sign that trumpeted the world's most dangerous animal. I was wary of getting too close. When I arrived, I saw myself in a mirror. The placard revealed that humans were the most dangeorus animal.

I studied Gnosticism with Elaine Pagels and have kept up my interest. I am no scholar. Very much an amateur. Pagels would be the first to tell you that Gnosticism is not pure Christianity. Rather, it is as loony as any other branch. It is not purer. Rather than purer, it is exotic to us. It is a shock to know these gospels existed. Long before Nag Hammadi, scholars knew something was going on within orthodox Christianity from Paul's letters.

Elaine Pagels books are easy reading. I purchased a Dummies or something similar guide to the Gnostics.

P.S. I hate reading massive articles on my computer screen. Can't people sum up the articles they reference in two to three sentences. All of law is summarized in a few sentences. People can read more details if they are interested. I often feel as though someone is imposing volumes of writings on me. Most of the time I don't care what the articles say. I can go forth and do Google Scholar or an academic database. I come here b/c I am interested in the views of live peoplle here. A link does wonders.

• Satanus
    Satanus

How long is a string?

S

• rebel8
    rebel8

shanagirl - the gnostic gospels are written by Magicians who speak lies of Jesus Christ and mislead people into gnosticism!

Evidence?

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Hi Rebel18,

I didn't make that statement about Gnositsm beingwritten by Magicians. Look back in the forum and you'll see that Ixthis made that comment to me .

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Yay, I finally got my avatar changed from that ugly little bug thingy.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/sparkle/seafey/32861261.gif?o=41

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

1 cubit foot.

• talesin
    talesin

They are huge, about 100 stories high,,, look kinda like the Michelin Man, and are made of marshmallows.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I think the humans have more than their rational minds. It would be a sad world with only rational thinking. Great music and art would be knocked out. Mystical thinking would end. There was recent evidence that our brains are wired for spirituality.

Long before I read the Gnostics, I knew I was far more than my rational thoughts. I experience Jesus, not the gospels Jesus but Jesus in the present.

I recall going to an art exhibit at the Met on the Delft School. It was very good Dutch painting. All were major museum quality. As I turned a corner, I unexpectedly encountered a famous Vermeer painting. I could not breathe. It grabbed my emotions and much more. To call the Vermeer and the other works paintings was to lie. The Vermeer touched God.

Beatles music also does it. Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky also do it.

I wept when I saw the Sistine Chapel. There is more than my biology. I am not Spock - though he is a personal hero. His humanity screwed up his logic on occasion.

• Terry
  • Quentin
    Quentin

OH NO!!!...A demon has cleaned Terry's slate....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit