What is your standing in a congregation if you're a man of 40 and never married?

by dgp 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe
    Moshe, is it bad that I know this guy was playing Halo? Is it even worse that I'm pretty sure the name of the level he's playing is "Assault on the Control Room"? Lol

Sirnose, I sometimes wish I had the game gene!

I have tried to play computer video games ever since the Commodore Vic-20 came out- but by level-2 on today's games I'm thinking of something "real" that I want to do.

• garyneal
    garyneal

(((White Dove)))

Strong woman indeed, you'll find the gentleman who will see that someday.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Moshe,

Ah, the good ole days...

Pac-man

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Sirnose, I sometimes wish I had the game gene!
    I have tried to play computer video games ever since the Commodore Vic-20 came out- but by level-2 on today's games I'm thinking of something "real" that I want to do.

Well, let me tell you Moshe, it took a lot of my time and dulled a great deal of my social skills. They're all back now, thankfully, but when I was playing Halo 1 from 2003-2007 and just hanging out with dudes (to avoid getting into "trouble" for partying), it set me back. These days I'll occasionally put in some time for this free multiplayer pirate-themed game called Pirates of the Burning Seas. Or if I feel like getting historical, I'll pop in Rome: Total War. I have a social life now, which is much more expensive to maintain but ultimately better than dark rooms full of musty, bitter dudes.

• IMHO
    IMHO

Going back to one of the earlier posts re: 60% sisters; 40% brothers.

That is an often mis-quoted statistic. The only reason there are more sisters 'in the truth' is because more women are called on who come in without their husbands.

When it comes to single available bros/sis's the percentage is definitely reversed.

I used to go to parties every week for over 10 years and there were always more brothers than sisters there.

• moshe
    moshe

Thinking back to when I was a young JW, there were more available sisters than brothers and this led to some sisters marrying guys who had limited ability to keep a good job. Nobody seemed to feel up to stopping the marrriage from hell, as the New System would make it all perfect- in just a few months, anyway.

SirNose, I might check out your Pirates game- it has to be better than Farmville,, but with my luck I'll get beat up by one of those pirate wenches-

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Growing up in the Witnesses, Witness brides did not wear normal wedding gowns. Hence, my mom's print with dogs on it. I believe they were Scotties which is still fashionable. Weddings did not take place in the hall. All this changed. My cousin had a beautiful, beaded wedding gown.

Misquoting Paul, the Witnesses give marriage short shrift compared to other religions and cultures. Men were so rare in my KH. In fact, my dream to work at Bethel was to give me a pool of white brothers. Since education is not pursued, the only way a sister can boost her income is through marriage. Yet these man are not good earners. In my time, marriage was not an open hostility as with my parents but pioneering and staying single were stressed. Marriage was for the weak and to be lamented.

There are no youth programs. NO Sunday Schools. Children are a mark of shame. Valuable field service time lost. Perhaps this has changed. As I wrote, Knorr's own marriage changed much. All those Witness luminaries were single men. My father had disgusting beliefs about women that he was indoctrinated with at Bethel. Women were not respected.

The Witnesses have this unique view of women as oversexed compared to men. The theme of Adam and Eve is recalled. Men are virtuous asexual creatures until a wild, wanton woman seduces them. This is so contrary to human biology and societal norms I've always wanted to study this view.Most people are watchful of their daughters. Witnesses fear for their sons.

My aunt breaks that her son is a faithful virgin. It is her great comfort. Yet he would not be here were she a virgin.

It has been decades so maybe the Society has been transformed. I wonder about someone being celibate when sisters need partners. Besides money, sisters have no power of their own. I am aware of wanting to land a very worldly man with connections to add to my arsenal. Also, without family ties, why isn't this brother a missionary or Bethelite?

• snakeface
    snakeface

It could be that he has a "worldy" girlfriend.

I remember being single and over 40 and having sisters calling me, showing up at my door at all hours....some in the congregation wold ask why I am not married. I would reply that I don't want to be married; I prefer to shack up, but then I wouldn't be allowed to give pubilc talks.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

My standing in a congregation @ 40 and never married?

I was a bethelite, elder, secretary, bethel elder, and bethel speaker. I was a member of triple A--"Available After Armageddon". In the bethel environment, young, pretty, single sisters were like fumbled footballs... guys were all over them. There were sisters along the way that were interested in me, but I wasn't that aggressive, so if another guy gave her the eye, she moved on, fast. With that many guys available, I wasn't that special. And since I had tons of extra duties and a demanding job, I had little time for a relationship. An obstacle for me was that a girl might like me just because I was in bethel. I knew that was a weak foundation for a relationship. I saw plenty of disasterous marriages, and figured that I would have to be really hot for somebody to give it a serious try. The last really hot sister that I tried to pursue a relationship with, constantly brought up her ex-boyfriend. That got old fast.

And as Blondie said, "Could be he masturbates alot............" That goes without saying. Based on some conversations with the married guys, I was getting more relief than they were.

After I left bethel, the prestige was gone. I moved back to where I was like a brother, father, or other family to all the sisters. And, of course, I had no money. Then I was removed as an elder. Now, I'm a fading college student. I would not be considered the same "great catch" in Watchtowerland anymore.

• dgp
    dgp

I see. Essentially you agree with me, Billy. You knew there was a high chance it wouldn't work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit