Is it normal to spend so much time here?

by burnedout 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• burnedout
    burnedout

I am fairly new to taking a stand on what I have long felt about the org. No longer an Elder now (BIG weight off my shoulders), and really find I am researching on this board all kinds of things I suspected and are now confirmed. Looking back over the years I had many intuitions about some situations and never took action on those feelings.

I used to spend all kinds of time working hard on talks and parts, coming up with new and interesting illustrations trying to 'help' others, (always hated field circus) but now I see all that was a waste of my time and energy. Has anyone else realized they are spending a ton of time here confirming what they always knew?

BTW, things are going ok with my wife regarding how I feel about the org, I have followed the advice of many posters here and have been gentle with my observations. I don't make a big deal about what I hear from the stage, but when she asks me what I think I explain my side.

Also, I have made progress with not drinking... Thanks to all for their support and help.

Burnedout

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Good to hear things are going well for you.

I think it is normal at first to spend a lot of time here and at other sites. You are soaking in information about an org that used to take up every minute of our lives. As for confirming what we already knew, I take that as a good thing. It shows our minds were starting to break free of the cult thinking before we made the decision to leave.

If it ever feels overwhelming, step back and take some time away from the net. Even a day or two away will help clear your mind.

• oompa
    oompa

i was nearly addicted to this site for my first two years here...so many things were just crashing down around me....so for me this place was a lifeline. i think it not only helps as a support group for those in difficult wake-up situations and to confirm doubts we may have....but it also helps just to know that there are so many others like us!!!! kind of like AA for dubbies...............welcome and hope you overcome the drinking...that has been tough for me too....i used it as an escape and to take away the pain but it is no fix of course....my entire jw life i was mostly around hard drinking and drunk elders...minis...and most others...we could really party together...and of course they are all gone now..........oompa

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think when your entire world from birth was JW centric, a board like this is a great surrogate social circle. When you start exiting, the illusion you you lived soon dissolves and that can leave an enormous void. It makes you feel vunerable and is quite scary. Talking to others, on line help you know you will get the through it, and will be able to rebuild.

• oompa
    oompa

ditto cantleave (hope you make it canleave)..........i should have mentioned the handful of friends i have made here....some are now real in-person friends while others are still just web based...........oompa

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    i should have mentioned the handful of friends i have made here....
    some are now real in-person friends while others are still just web based ...........oompa

http://www.thebestinternetgame.com/images/spiderman-game.jpg

......................;-)...OUTLAW

• oompa
    oompa

ugh outlaw....that was a groaner.........oomps

• d
    d

I use this site as a means to vent my frustrations so this site helps.

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Stay as long as you need it.....what is too much or too little only you can decide.

Many have moved away from it.....some have remained here to help others.

"God bless us one and all" T. Tim

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

When I first visited this site, I thought I was going to flunk a semester of college because I just couldn't stop reading and posting. That was 4 months ago, and I had to forcefully stop coming here to keep my 4.0. LOL Now it's summer and I find I'm as addicted as ever. Should be a 12 step program.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit