Lost my entire coin, stamp and paper money collection!! surprising story.

by finallyfree! 12 Replies latest jw friends

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

so in the hustle and shuffle of moving i must have left my entire collection literally in the appartment parking lot.

just to give you an idea of what was in there i had about a dozen america and canadian silver dollars, a couple gold coins, a bunch of ancient coins from the 1600s, old canadian paper money and us money and a bunch of coins, stamps, paper currency ive been collecting since i was a kid.

all in all my stuff was worth in the 5-7 thousand dollar range. believe it or not a young guy in his mid twenties from the appartments across the st came over and asked me if i lost anything and what my name was. he then tells me that he picked it up on his way to the car and that he saw i had some other papers in the bag with my name. he returned it all!! nothing missing!!

now this is a kid who comes across as being one of those little drug dealing punks (my first jw auto-judement after i totally dismissed the judgemental thought lol!!) he was not one of jehovahs witnesses, he was not even religious for that matter.

just goes to show that the human race is not all lost, there are still good honest people out there, regular hardsworking people who still have respect and values. and ya dont have to be a j-dub either, as they would have u believe.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Awesome story. I hope you gave him 20 dollars or something.

JW's love to tell the story at conventions about JW honesty in contrast with the world. Good story for the other side.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Great people come in all colors and stripes.

I'm so happy for you.

Syl

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

yep i got his name and number. i know he has a young child and seems to be struggling like the rest of us so im gonna fix him up.

i was totally floored. just goes to show...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Just goes to show that you don't have to be one of Jehovah's Witlesses, or even a Christian, to be honest. Those silver and gold coins are going to be worth major money in the very near future, and the collection has collector value on top of that. Even a Devil worshiper or an apostate can be honest--and is probably as likely to be honest as your average witless.

On top of that, when a worldly person finds something of value and returns it, you don't get guilted into selling it and putting it into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund or quitting your job to pio-sneer like you would with a witless.

• Scully
    Scully

Quick call the WTS... they need to do an article about an actual Worldly Person™ who is honest!

If you give the address, they'll send some Pioneers™ and Elders™ over to rough him up for messing with JWs super-honest reputations.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I used to collect stamps and coins as a kid. Not sure of the value, probably at least a few hundred $.

I'm glad that you got your collection back. And kudos to the kid who returned it, although he probably may have had no idea of its worth.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    i know he has a young child and seems to be struggling like the rest of us so im gonna fix him up.

Imagine if he did something so extraordinary for a JW. He'd probably get a watchtower rag as a reward.

Every so often my faith in human nature takes a trip down the toilet, so it's nice to read first hand experiences like this.

W

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool story. thanks for writing it.

S

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    now this is a kid who comes across as being one of those little drug dealing punks (my first jw auto-judement after i totally dismissed the judgemental thought lol!!) he was not one of jehovahs witnesses, he was not even religious for that matter.

Thank you for sharing the story. With so much undue emphasis on bad behavior, it's easy to forget that most people are decent and honest. Too often we expect the worst, based on a stereotype.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit