Today's WT lesson: Desperate for more MS. How many get appointed 1 yr after baptism?

by Open mind 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoser
    hoser

@ WTWizard

Now, what is "reasonable" field circus hours? What is "reasonable" activity? Anyone that has had a basic knowledge of economics should know about opportunity costs, marginal costs, and marginal benefits. Marginal cost is the cost of the next unit of activity, while the marginal benefit is the amount you reasonably expect to gain from that next unit. There is such a thing as diminishing returns--the more you do something, the lower the marginal benefit is. And the marginal cost usually goes up with each unit. Once the marginal cost equals the marginal benefit, that is the optimal amount. Anything more is beyond reasonable and always results in net loss. This goes as much for attendance at boasting sessions and volunteeering at a$$emblies as for field circus

right on the mark

The economic theory of diminishing returns: the point when a business venture gets so large it becomes unprofitable(General Motors was a prime example)

I think your correct in applying it to the preaching work as well. Many publishers putting 10 hrs have as much success as a pioneer putting 70 hs

hoser

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Hey OM!

Long time no see!

Good to see you're not an elder anymore, how goes the fade?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Para: " Good to see you're not an elder anymore, how goes the fade?"

Hi Para. Right back at ya.

Things are going great. Wife and kids are all mentally out. Kids rarely attend a meeting. I'm the most "spiritual" of the bunch as I attend about once a month. Extended family are worried about us, but seem to be treating us with kid gloves so far.

How are you and Bobbi?

om

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

PYRAMID And I were in a congregation that needed MS. PYRAMID was reaching out doing mikes, sound, literature, and attendant. He was getting the required nat'l average in service. When they brought him up for appointment to the CO he was shot down because he didn't show enough productivity in his service: not enough placements and return visits. After years of trying so hard to tow the line, this broke his zeal and he stopped trying. So Burnedout has a very good point about the CO's control over things. Another brother who was doing less than PYRAMID got appointed over him because he was more gregarious and friends with all the elders. PYRAMID was shy and just did his job without much complaint.

This taught us, it's a popularity contest most of the time.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

How are you and Bobbi?

Life is fantastic, the kids seemed to have settled into being worldly DAA's quite nicely and enjoy birthdays and holidays.

Have you had a family Christmas yet?

Bah, i should go stalk your posting history :p

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

This all sounds so cool.

I always wanted to retain my originality and edges, so never ever even dreamt of reaching for privileges. That I decided already as teen. It worked well I was left alone except for one occassion where they mentioned considering me. I cut the consideration and asked them not to think in those paths. Aah the peace.

CP

• manthedan
    manthedan

It took me almost two years till I was appointed a MS, I was 21. this was back around 2006

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I hadn't seen any appointed after only 1 year. They were supposed to be "tested as to fitness" first.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I never ever knew of any MS who was appointed after having been baptised for just 12 months. I did once hear of a brother being made a Ministerial Servant after having been baptised only a year before, followed by appointment as an elder a year after that:

- he was a brother in the Lebanon, whose experiences were related in a 1984 issue of Awake. (Can't remember which issue).

Things must have changed dramatically since I broke with the JWs back in 1994. In the congregations that I was with during the 1980s, brothers were almost climbing over themselves to make MS.

I can identify with those who experienced frustration in their attempts to qualify, though;

- when I was "reaching out", it always seemed like they kept moving the goalposts!

All I can say is that thank God (or somebody!) that I am well out of it now.

Bill.

• steve2
    steve2

There's a strong impression that baptized male JWs are not wanting to apply for the position. This must worry the Watchtower because it means that a heavier burden is being handled by fewer and fewer men - at least in English-speaking congegations where the general downward spiral in publishers is most pronounced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit