Discontinued Life Everlasting in Freedom of the sons of god book?

by Sharpie 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

I did some spring cleaning in my place and found an old box of books with my grandfathers stuff. In it i found some real gems, a dozens "brand new" copies of Life Everlasting of the sons of god books, and a copy of the divine plan of the ages with pyramid chart and all.

Now what I am wondering about why did they stop the Life everlasting book? What damning quotes are in there? Thx in advance

-sharpie

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I would LOVE a copy of that book. I'll pay for shipping!

• maninthemiddle
  • moshe
    moshe

Life everlasting? Isn't that the book that first got JWs all in a tizzy about 6000 years ending in 1975?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Yes moshe,that was the one.

• pirata
    pirata

Yeah, look up the table of contents where it lists "chart", then reading the surrounding pages. The chart builds up a rivalry between the King of the North and the South, and shows that 1975 marks the 6000 years of Mankind's existence and 2975 marks 7000 years.

"The published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E. So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. ? So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence. How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ. ? It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence." Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God 1966 pp.26-30

This was the book that caused "some Christians" to start "speculating" about 1975.

• moshe
    moshe

some history I lived through---

And very quickly, President Knorr realized he had a goldmine with 1975- nobody said , whoa, bro Knorr, go easy on setting a date- no one knows the day or they hour- nope, JWs loved having a date and they ate up every new bit of 1975 encouragement- reaching it's peak with the, Stay alive until 1975, era- from 1969 to about 1974-

By late 1974, most JWs could see that the world stage was acting , " normal again" and not tilting towards world appocalypse. The only tease they had was the October 1973 Arab/Israeli Yom Kippur war, but by the spring of 1974 the ceasefire was secure and the pain JWs were feeling was at the gas pump as gasoline prices surged in response to the Arab oil embargo. Yes, in early 1974 JWs thought it would keep getting worse, but that never happened. I even heard an elder proclaim something like- only about 18 more months left in this system of things- from the platform, in late 1973

The letdown set in, but then some JWs jumped at President Fords Jan 1977 (13 months after the end of 1975) State of the Union Address were he said--

"In my two trips to Asia as President, we have reaffirmed America's continuing vital interest in the peace and security of Asia and the Pacific Basin, established a new partnership with Japan, confirmed our dedication to the security of Korea, and reinforced our ties with the free nations of Southeast Asia."

They zeroed in on his three words, peace and security, to mean that the end was right around the corner, because Jehovah would come when the nations least expected it- of course, the only thing JWs got was another doubling in the cost of gasoline to fill up their Chevy Impala field service car in 1979.

I started building a new home in 1976- finished in 1977 and my wife was pregnant with our first child in the spring of 1977- needless to say, may JWs thought I was acting foolish- the end was still so close---

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

maninthemiddle: Thank you for the reminders and the research material sited.

I noticed in the above link no apology nor any sign of humility on the part of the WTBTS over the 1975 goof-up. Only a shift in blame!

• Honesty
  • St George of England

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit