The Bible is full of violence.Why are JW's told to avoid anything related to it then?

by XPeterX 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jesus was violent in the temple. Paul borders on it sometimes.

Selective reading. There certainly is an increase in peace from Gensis to the gospels.

• designs
    designs

You know if you got to be one of the 144,000 you get to ride with Jesus and whoop some serious ass..........

• caliber
    caliber

Read up on the distinction between the "Old Law covenant "and what the" new covenant "is , things will become much

clearer to you ,the better way is taught to us 'progressively" through history...." the covenant of Grace"

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You know if you got to be one of the 144,000 you get to ride with Jesus and whoop some serious ass...

LOL.

That will be open to any conqueror - not just the 144,000.

Revelation 2:26 The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, 27 and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father. ESV Study Bible

You can do some damaging head-smashing with rods of iron.

Syl

• glenster
    glenster

"The Bible is full of violence" "why JW's have to avoid books,music,movies
    which contain violence?"

The most towards that I saw is this:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100420064019AA1H7TQ
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050508/article_01.htm

I don't remember a JWs rule to not watch movies that even just make basic
    references to violence, or to consider all the violence in the Bible on the same
    moral plane (offense or defense) or theological grounds, or that God is all-
    loving (loves everything good or bad, sin or not). Even the JWs leaders inter-
    pretation of the Bible, with its forced points and concocted exclusive rules,
    sees the NT as markedly changing the ways of previous followers who were only
    taken so far from their ways, including ways of violence. (I might disagree
    with them about some examples being things God needed to be done or that those
    people believed God needed to be done.) Is this question a reaction to a Watch-
    tower quote or something else?

Anyone familiar with me knows I'm not lawyer Jack (of anti-GTA fame), but I
    think the Watchtower article at the link above uses some NT scriptures to make
    general suggestions and leaves it to conscience and personal interpretation.
    It's too soft regarding a clear rule about specific movie titles for me to use
    in my expose article.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20050508/article_01.htm

The picture in this article is hilarious. Why do all the pictures of people at home in family settings, are people dressed like dang near business casual? Who watches television with tucked in polo shirts and neatly pressed khakis? I remember living at home, and a visitor would show up unexpected, the first thing me or my brother and sister did if we answered the door, was run back to where our folks were at so they could be presentable. Presentable as in my dad needing to put some pants on as he lounged about occasionally in his underwear, and mom would have on a conservative night gown or really long tee shirt. I don't ever recall watching a movie with my family when all of us were home and we were dressed like we were going to work at the book store later on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit