I dont like using "their" name for God

by jean-luc picard 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I realize that I avoid using THEIR name for God.

I can say it................. Jehovah. There, you see!

But I'll avoid it almost always..... if I'm talking with you,

on the rare occasions that I am in conversation with any jdub family,

etc etc.

I am more comfortable saying God.

How about you?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s not their Name..

They borrowed it from the Catholic`s..

It`s a 14th century Catholic Translation mistake..

Jehovah`s Witness`s worship a 14th century Catholic Translation mistake..

mutley-ani1.gif image by GeneralWaco...OUTLAW

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I feel better already.

At least they didnt adopt the burning at the stake doctrine as well.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think the degree and frequency that they use it is what makes me bristle. I was told yesterday afternoon by our youngest daughter's babysittier that I do not serve Jehovah.

• tec
    tec

I was never comfortable using it, and rarely ever did so, even during my study.

But I understand what you're saying about it being 'tainted' now, because they have given the Name such a bad 'name'.

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Oh, and I say 'God' or 'Father in Heaven'.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You might enjoy the Jewish prohibition and workaround, which I have sympathy for now. http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

When comforting my husband, I use the word "Jehovah", because this is his context.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If I'm talking to Dub family I just call it Watchtower god.

I also substitute 'your church' for 'the Truth'.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

FYI:

Introduction into English

The Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon suggested that the pronunciation Jehovah was unknown until 1520 when it was introduced by Galatinus, who defended its use. However, it has been found as early as about 1270 in the Pugio fidei of Raymund Martin. [ 25 ]

In English it appeared in William Tyndale's translation of the Pentateuch ("The Five Books of Moses"), [ 26 ] published in 1530 in Germany, where Tyndale had studied since 1524, possibly in one or more of the universities at Wittenberg, Worms and Marburg, where Hebrew was taught. [ 27 ] The spelling used by Tyndale was "Iehouah"; at that time, I was not distinguished from J, and U was not distinguished from V. [ 28 ] The original 1611 printing of the Authorized King James Version used "Iehovah". Tyndale wrote about the divine name: "IEHOUAH [Jehovah], is God's name; neither is any creature so called; and it is as much to say as, One that is of himself, and dependeth of nothing. Moreover, as oft as thou seest LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing), it is in Hebrew Iehouah, Thou that art; or, He that is." [ 29 ]

The name Jehovah appeared in all early Protestant Bibles in English, except Coverdale's translation in 1535. [ 30 ] The Roman Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible used "the Lord", corresponding to the Latin Vulgate's use of "Dominus" (Latin for "Adonai", "Lord") to represent the Tetragrammaton. The Authorized King James Bible also, which used Jehovah in a few places, most frequently gave "the LORD" as the equivalent of the Tetragammaton. The name Jehovah appeared in John Rogers' Matthew Bible in 1537, the Great Bible of 1539, the Geneva Bible of 1560, Bishop's Bible of 1568 and the King James Version of 1611. More recently, it has been used in the Revised Version of 1885, the American Standard Version in 1901, and the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures of the Jehovah's Witnesses in 1961.

At Exodus 6:3-6 , where the King James Version has Jehovah, the Revised Standard Version (1952), [ 31 ] the New American Standard Bible (1971), the New International Version (1978), the New King James Version (1982), the New Revised Standard Version (1989), the New Century Version (1991), and the Contemporary English Version (1995) give "LORD" or "Lord" as their rendering of the Tetragrammaton, while the New Jerusalem Bible (1985), the Amplified Bible (1987), the New Living Translation (1996, revised 2007), the English Standard Version (2001), and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2004) use the form Yahweh.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I never use the name "Jehovah" and I never ever refer to the JW religion as "The Truth"..

Snoozy

Had a guy come up to me in the grocery store today an dpushed a brochure in my hand..he said it wouldn't hurt me..I said I am burned out on religion..he put it in my basket and walked away..I have no idea what religion he was with. I got ot checkout and the bagger started to put it in my bag..I said " No thanks"..I don't want it. She put it in her shirt pocket..I guess the guy's God was happy whoever it is..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit