Are most JW families dysfunctional?

by 21stcenturywoman 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 21stcenturywoman
    21stcenturywoman

Based on certain families who I've known personally in the "truth", there was infidelity which resulted in children out of wedlock, drug abuse, abortion (involving an elder's teenager), verbal, emotional, & physical abuse (by parents and spouses), and dependence on public assistance. Are these particular Witnesses the minority, or has anyone observed that there is a number of dysfunctional families in the "organization"?

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I don't know about "most" but mine sure was. In my family there was severe mental illness, adultery, poverty, child abandonment, teenage pregnancy, alcoholism, etc. Yes, the way of The Truth (tm) is the best way of living!

• sabastious
    sabastious

I knew a family, husband & wife & 2 kids, that recently all moved to the Dominican Republic to serve where the need was greater. To me that doesn't sound very dysfunctional so maybe not all are. For the most part JW family life is rough to say the least.

-Sab

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    to serve where the need was greater.

Yeah, that's what my parents did before I came along. According to an older sister who knew my mom before that, when she came back from serving where the need was great, she was a different person- and she didn't mean that in a good way.

• metatron
    metatron

My Heavens! I'm starting to wonder. Blended families, divorce, kids out of control, mental illness, ignorance, lack of education, lousy jobs, abusive parents, child molesters, corrupt seld serving elders - where does it end.?

I guess the Society doesn't know since they're opposed to surveys.

metatron

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Back in the 60's , families were fine ( but then again in or out of the borg).

Today, there are more and more problems, and the so called sexual freedom.

Also, jws tend to attract people who have got disfonctions/problems etc.

If all is well with you, there would be little reason to listen to jdub talk.

So, maybe that is a reason why there are quite a few disfuntional families in the borg.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I knew a family, husband & wife & 2 kids, that recently all moved to the Dominican Republic to serve where the need was greater. To me that doesn't sound very dysfunctional so maybe not all are. For the most part JW family life is rough to say the least.

-Sab

I can assure you that that means nothing. We did that 50 years ago.

We were dysfunctional then, we are dysfunctional now. The only difference is that some of us recognise it now.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

who is NOT dysfunctional today?

Last non-dysfunctional family: Ward & June Cleaver (and they called their son The Beaver)

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Yes, most JW families are dysfunctional, as are most Mormon families, as are most Muslim families, as are most Catholic families, as are most American families, European, Asian, Indian, Slavician, Canadian, Mexican, Brazialian, etc, etc, etc.

just my humble opinion

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

No, I have to disagree whole-heartedly on this one. My parent were married 49 years and I have almost 20 with my wife. I emphasize family over the orgazation though. I miss field service for baseball games and gymnastics. I comment at the meetings, but will never serve again.

I am known but witnesses and evil worldly people as a husband and a father FIRST...,.Then a publisher, as was my father!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit