Most Overblown Examples Used at Assemblies

by What Now? 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

At one assembly, I heard a story from the platform that almost made me burst out laughing: Once there were two Brothers TM who went to a pub for lunch/dinner/whatever. Both were married. One of the brothers started eyeing up a woman across the room (apparently couldn't help himself). The woman noticed and eventually came over to their table and said to the "brother": "I saw you looking at me; I get the hint. Come home with me when you're done here." The "brother" immediately denied he was looking and it got to the point where the woman got extremely upset, started yelling, screaming and making a big scene. When the "brother" came home, him and the wife had a big blow up over the incident at the bar and their marriage ended soon after. The moral of the story: don't go to worldly drinking establishments of any kind because of the multitude of "moral dangers".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ya right! That's really rich. If this story is to be believed at all, there must have been some serious problems in the marriage before any of that happened. I'm sure this one was made up...

V665V665

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Vampire,

That reminds me of a brother in my old congregation who left his job as a programmer for a national railway where he had been working for well over 10 years - a job for life - because his wife was afraid he could have an affair with some of the women he worked with. Instead he started working for another brother who had cleaning contracts...we all know the story - small pay for the worker and big profit for the contractor...His wife has serious trust issues and he is still having problems with employment - all he gets are low paying jobs...but he is doing well in the truth being a MS and all.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

There is the example that I've heard from the podium of why fear of one day getting DF'd shouldn't keep young ones from getting baptized anymore than fear or high likelihood of getting a ticket doesn't keep young ones from getting their driving license.

The difference is that if you get a traffic ticket there is traffic school to go to & the ticket gets erased ..........that quick, that easy with no pain. No embarrassment. No one shuns you. No public announcement. No need of waiting one year to get your driving privileges reinstated & then another year of restrictions. Not to mention that a young ones parents are always there to bail them out of any financial consequences as a result of the driving ticket.

What an idiotic comparison.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I remember one of the CO's at our pioneer school giving the example of two regular pioneer sisters going door to door. They came across a worker in a cherry picker picking cherries. The sisters showed an interest in the cherry picker, so the cherry picker worker asked them if they would like to ride up in it. The sisters agreed. Well, at the end of the day, one of the sisters was in bed with the cherry picker.

For the life of me I cannot remember the moral of the story...I think it had to do with cherries.

• Mary
    Mary
    Vampire said: him and the wife had a big blow up over the incident at the bar and their marriage ended soon after.

Hmmm......very interesting since neither one had scriptural grounds for a divorce. Either neither one of them ever had sex again, or one of them would have had to do alot more than drool over someone in a bar.

• life is to short
  • life is to short
    life is to short

I finally got a chance to read this and JimmyPage that same story was told to us by our CO I think.

Just this last SAD about a month ago they had a young family on the stage, I have known the parents of the husband forever and the parents are horrible with money. The dad made good money very good money and they burned through it like water. They have always been in debt.

Well the apple did not fall far from the tree and it appears the son is doing the same thing. He lost his really, really, really good paying job due to the recession, and they did not have any food in the house and he had no job offers, etc. How about having money set aside for such things? So what did he do. He and his young wife prayed and went out in services. When they come home there was a box of food on at their back door, some one gave them a car, and Jehovah took care of them. They even brought up their baby on stage for the drama of it all.

I was thinking why did you have a baby? I thought we were supposed to wait until the new system to have kids. I as told that when I was in my 20's.

Anywho it was all such a fake story if you knew the family like I have.

I was so mad listening to such lies.

LITS

• Alfred
    Alfred

In my district, every three years or so, they would recycle the example of a paraplegic sister who couldn't go out in field service but would instead dial the phone with her tongue and give book studies over the phone... this was usually during "needs of the circuit" talk or a "do-more" talk...

I always thought... "If she's paraplegic, how the hell can she position herself over the phone and dial a number?" I always thought this was complete BS intended to make everyone feel guilty for not reporting more hours...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit