How evangelicals and Witnesses are alike

by jgnat 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

1. Both believe in the inerrancy of the bible (Psalms 12:6, 119:89, Proverbs 30:5-6, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21, Rev 22:18-19) and in their absolute correct interpretation.
    2. Both believe that the other is apostate (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4).
    3. Both believe that the other’s doctrine is influenced by the devil (Genesis 3:1-15, John 8:44).
    4. Both believe the other is condemned for their false beliefs (2 Peter 2:1-3, 1 Timothy 4:1-3, 2 Timothy 2:16-19, Hebrews 6:4-8).
    5. Neither would darken the door of the other’s sanctuary, for fear of contamination.
    6. Both would avoid casual association (Proverbs 13:20, 1 Corinthians 5:11, 15:33), and certainly would not marry the other (2 Corinthians 6:14).
    7. Both believe that Armageddon is imminent and look forward to the purified world afterwards.
    8. Both consider that the highest form of charity is to convert another. Practical works like feeding the poor are considered inferior.

More? Can we make it a dozen (a more perfect number)?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

9.Both "piss off" almost everyone they come in contact with..

10.Both think a conversation means..You listen to them and agree with everything they say..

............;-)...OUTLAW

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Neither truely would 'Honor the Son the same as the Father' John 5;23.........ouch!

dc

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Powerful post Jgnat, everything on that list is true. As a born-JW who's finally awakened after 30 something years of this nonsense, I'm amazed that so many JWs can never see that many of the very things they accuse "Christendom" of, they're just as guilty of!! A whole lot of finger pointing, and nobody's looking in the mirror. Seems like everybody neglects reading and taking to heart Matthew 7:1-5.

LOL Outlaw!! You forgot they piss off a whole lot of people born into their crap religion too!! The WBTS, aka The Wickedest Bastards This Side of the Atlantic Ocean.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

12.Both are arrogant..They consider themselves better than any other Christians..

13.Jesus would be disappointed with both of them..

..................;-)...OUTLAW

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have the rare position of regularly visiting both sides of the fence. I tell those who have fallen in love with a Witness to certainly attend one of their services. No demons in sight.

The reality is damning enough. The services are boring! And a lot like a business sales meeting. To an evangelical/pentecostal, it would come across as depressingly sterile.

• TD
    TD
    More? Can we make it a dozen (a more perfect number)?

Both believe they know more about Jewish life in the 1st century and Jewish law than Jews today do

Both believe the Catholic church was the start of the great apostasy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Great ones, TD! Heck, I like everyone's contributions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism's_view_of_Jesus

As you may have guessed, this thread is serving as a useful venting space. Thanks, guys.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

jgnat: I take issue with some of the things you stated but do agree with the last one. I went to the Memorial to see personally what it was like. I go to a Pentecostal church and found the Memorial depressingly sterile as you said. It seemed that no one wanted to be there. It was the total opposite of our Good Friday and Sunday service where there was a lot of joy. Everyone is happy to see each other, hugging and conversing. I didn’t see that in the Kindom Hall. But that’s not to say that it doesn’t happen elsewhere.

I, like many people, don’t see the witnesses as the enemy. We do feel they are deceived but care about them. I have never said that a witness is condemned for their belief. I am not the judge of any man. But I was condemned by a witness. Only God can judge an individuals heart.

I don’t go to the Kingdom Hall because I don’t believe in their theology. Why would I go? I have no problem going to different denominations. I go to one church but another (different denomination) is like a second home to me. It is the witnesses themselves who keep their distance from us, I believe, and not the other way around.

I think many people have a false impresssion of the Pentecostal church. I can only speak of my church but it’s not some wacky church where people swing from the chandeliers. I go to this church in large part because they reach out to the community in a major way. We do feed the poor and do not consider it inferior. I see the same in other churches.

All churches have their zealots who try to force people to convert. We have some in our church. We can’t convert anyone. Only the Holy Spirit can convict us. All we can do is say what Christ has done for us. And we can all be there for each other, inside and outside of the church.

My mom, who was a witness for 37 years, comes to church with us every Sunday and loves it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit