So if God didn't mean a literal day when he said "Day," doesn't that mean the NWT isn't the most accurate translation?

by Pika_Chu 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Feb 15 Kool-Aid, page 7&8 Par 9&10

Jehovah has, however, revealed essential
    details about his works. For instance, the
    Scriptures inform us that God’s spirit was
    active on the earth aeons ago. (Read Genesis
    1:2.) At that time, there was no dry land

no light, and apparently no breathable air at
    the earth’s surface.

10 The Bible goes on to describe what God
    did during a series of creative days. These are
    not 24-hour days but are epochs.....

An epoch can be damned near whatever you want, even a 7,000 year period to keep old-timers happy.

• Terry
    Terry

I always think about the prescription the doctor gives you for medicine.

You take it to the pharmacy and the pharmacist reads it and makes the pills.

You take the pills. You get better.

Now, compare that to the bible.

The Doctor (Jehovah) gives you the perscription (the bible)

you take it to the Governing Body mouthpiece and they interpret it for you in the publications (the pills)

You take the publications house to house. You don't get better. You get worse.

You are DF'd. You suddenly get better.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Now, compare that to the bible.

The Doctor (Jehovah) gives you the perscription (the bible)

you take it to the Governing Body mouthpiece and they interpret it for you in the publications (the pills)

You take the publications house to house. You don't get better. You get worse.

You are DF'd. You suddenly get better.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Great zing Terry!

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

Okay so in the bible it says a day of God is a thousand years.

so that's ONE take on it.

Currently I am doing a massive paper on the parrallels of hinduism and biblical teachings.

Its simply too much to write it all here but I can tell you briefly that basically all ancient languages stem from sanskrit however their original meanings were also lost along the way..

a quick Example which is very easy to grasp is BALA (in Hinduism GOD [or god's brother who is simply an expansion of God]) then the name BA'AL evolved .. then it got changed to mean ANY kind of God ..eventually the Hewbrews DROPPED it because they didnt want the false Gods associated with their God... so God went "nameless" of course we all know about BA'AL in tyhe bible.

In a similar manner there are words such as AGE / AEON - which is translated by the WTS incorrectly - stems form the Sanskrit word YUGA... im not going into the entore emtymology of it right now would take to long just go with me on this OK?

There are 4 divisions of ages according to Hindi Shastra

In the Sophia of Jesus Christ - Jesus answers the questions of his disciples about the aeons and their meanings.

According to Hinduism we are in KAli Yuga - the LAST AGE of the cycle. Just as in the bible we read LAST DAYS / AEON / AGE

The Kali Yuga/Age started in 18 February 3102 BCE in the proleptic Julian calendar and will last for 432.000 earth years

I have previously promised to wite a topic on how revelations aligns with the end of Kali Yuga but to be honest Im very busy with UNiversity.

Btw BOTH shastra and revelation say at the END OF THE AGE that the Lord will come ON A WHITE HORSE . too many parrallels to wite here.

Back to the question of a DAY.

So how long is a day?

Someone said we dont know - but in Shastra all time is given as such:

"The rishis, measuring time, have given particular names to particular portions [of time]. Five and ten winks of the eye make what is called a Kastha. Thirty Kasthas make what is called a Kala. Thirty Kalas, with the tenth part of a Kala, make a Muhurta. Thirty Muhurtas make one day and night. Thirty days and nights form a month, and twelve months form a year. Persons well-read in mathematical science say that a year is made up of two solar motions, meaning the northern and southern. The sun makes the day and night for men. The night is for the sleep of all living creatures, and the day is for work. A month of human beings is equal to a day and night of the departed manes [ancestors who have gone on to the subtle worlds]. That division consists in this: the light half of the month is their day which is for work; and the dark fortnight is their night for sleep. A year (of men) is equal to a day and night to the gods [Devas or celestials]. This division consists in this: the half year for which the sun travels from the vernal to the autumnal equinox is the day of the gods, and the half year for which the sun moves from the latter to the former is their night. [Thus, an earth year is but a day for the Devas.] Calculating by the days and nights of human beings about which I have told you, I shall speak of the day and night of Brahma and his years also. I shall, in their order, tell you the number of years, that are for different purposes calculated differently, in the Krita, the Treta, the Dvapara, and the Kali yugas. Four thousand celestial years is the duration of the first or Krita age. The morning of that cycle consists of four hundred years and its evening is of four hundred years. [Note: This says celestial years, or years of the demigods on the higher planets. Such years are much longer than those of planet earth. So 4000 celestial years, with the morning or Sandhya of 400 celestial years and the evening or Sandhyansa, or intermediate period, of another 400 years equals 4800 celestial years or 1,728,000 human years.]

"Regarding the other cycles [or yugas], the duration of each gradually decreases by a quarter in respect of both the principal period with the minor portion and the conjoining portion itself. These periods always keep up the never-ending and eternal worlds. They who know Brahma, O child, regard this as Immutable Brahma." (Mb, Shanti Parva, 231.21-22)

Lets break this down simply:

This equals 4,320,000 human years, or 12,000 divine years, in one cycle of the four yugas together

1000 cycles of these yugas equals aChaturyuga at 12,000,000 divine years and 4,320,000,000 human years in one day of Brahma. The Creator.

Have fun with it :-)

• sinis
    sinis

^^^ Rad... I believe that is incorrect. You simply cannot take the words of Paul (a day for a year) and meld them with the creation story. The creation story needs to and should stand on it OWN, without the need for further "explanation"...

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

Hi. Sorry I disappeared.

@Terra Incognita: good point, but I was kind of already getting to that. If it doesn't make sense because of the word choice, then people usually resort to non-literal interpretations. The problem is that, once you go that far, you can pretty much say the Bible is saying anything. I mean, who has the right interpretation if a passage requires special interpretation? Who am I supposed to believe has the right idea if it's symbolic? And, no offense, but this is one of my points for atheism: why would God speek to us in code and symbols? Wouldn't the Bible be easier to understand if it's just straightforward? If it's supposed to be a guide for our lives, I prefer the instructions be written in plain English (yeah, I know it was Hebrew, but still). If God really doesn't want anyone getting confused about whether or not the Genisis account is to be taken literally or symbolically, shouldn't he have given us a legend or a decoder right there on the first page? And if "day" is symbolic and not literal, I mean, wouldn't God just say it was?

@Black sheep: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure they use the word "eons" specifically, but I'm pretty sure they do. But, like you said, perhaps they were talking about the time before the creative days. I believe they use the word "epoch" most of the time. Either way, it's definately not a 24-hour day.

@Possible-san: Thank you for your concern, but I thought my post would be informative and get people thinking. Well, that was my intention, anyway. Maybe some will complain that this argument is petty or that other translations are guilty for doing the same thing, but the point I was trying to make is that the NWT is no MORE accurate than other Bibles.

@hamsterbait: yes, like you said, the Society reinterprets the meaning of "day" in a 20/20 kind of way. There's no indication that Moses (or whomever wrote Genesis) meant anything other than 24-hour days. Since the Jewish Sabbath and week length was based on the creative days (Exodus 20:11), I'm thinking Moses must have really meant a 24-hour day, versus epochs. Did the Jews have Sabbath every epoch or so? I don't think so...

@Radhysm: wow, that's interesting. I'm not convinced of any creation stories, however, but I guess that was another way to look at things.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Pika_Chu.

@Possible-san: Thank you for your concern, but I thought my post would be informative and get people thinking. Well, that was my intention, anyway. Maybe some will complain that this argument is petty or that other translations are guilty for doing the same thing, but the point I was trying to make is that the NWT is no MORE accurate than other Bibles.

Yeah, I see what you mean.
    But I also expressed "my own view."

Well, although I do not know in what country you live, a Japanese TV program broadcast recently that the halves of U.S. population are fundamentalists (evangelical).
    And, for them, those Bibles translated into English word "day" are not wrong.
    And, for them, that is the literal sense.

I think that your reasoning is interesting, of course.
    But, I feel also that it may be almost unconvincing for "JWs" and "evangelically."

For JWs, that they do not interpret it literally is rather scientific.

possible

• trevor
    trevor

A day to us earthlings, is the time it takes for the earth to revolve once. Until god made the earth there was no such thing as a day. So whoever wrote Genesis had his head a long way up...................in the clouds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit