You'll lose your life and that of your children if you don't come back

by truthseeker 67 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It was a beautiful, sunny day. I was in the supermarket doing an early morning shop when I see an old friend of the family, a JW sister.

She asked me if I'd gone to the Memorial and I told her no. She said that the end is so close what with all the earthquakes and brother Truthseeker, you need to come back to Jehovah otherwise you will die and so will your children. She said this with tears in her eyes.

Because I know this sister and she is a friend I didn't say anything. I did get an invite to the special talk. I've read about people here having conversations like this, and until today I didn't really give it much thought, but to be told you and your children will die if we don't serve the Watchtower God is deeply disturbing.

• Honesty
    Honesty

You can't really expect anything other than "you need to come back to Jehovah otherwise you will die and so will your children" when talking with a JW.

It is deeply imbedded in their minds that you are not serving their god if you are not attending meetings.

As time goes on you may get used to it when encountering a JW.

Unless your name is all of a sudden announced between the TMS and Serve Us meeting.

Then you will have to get used to the shunning.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

emotional blackmail at it's finest.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Basically that's all they've got. "Either do it our way or God is gonna kill you and your family."

You're right, it is disturbing.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Very disturbing,

When my G-ma threatens me in that manner I say,

"if I believed that for one minute I would be doing everything the society says, just like I use to"

It shuts her right up.

They think you are weak, and like to do naughty things, and that is the reason your not kowtowing to the society.

To say you dont believe, can be pretty shocking to them.

• chickpea
    chickpea

reckoning back to what lured me in,
    i have no doubt she sincerely meant
    what she said....

my response to that might have been
    "i appreciate your concern, and i return
    mine to you because of the stress you
    endure because of your beliefs... have
    a great day"

• The Finger
    The Finger

The Mayans seemed to think the end of the world is in 2012. Pastor Russell thought it was in 1914.

If the earthquakes, bad weather and unrest in the middle east are leading up to the end of the world as we know it, it would seem the Mayans were closer than Pastor Russell. Maybe they had a better chronology?

Is predicting the end of the world important for a christian?

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Truthseeker; I would suggest that next time you tell such a person the following:

"It is you who are losing your live(s), year by year, as long as you remain in that religion."

• journey-on
    journey-on

JWs have absolutely no social grace whatsoever! They are hopeless and living in fear everyday. I know exactly what they are thinking everytime there is a major natural disaster. They are scared and happy at the same time. When I was in it, Armageddon was the first thing I thought of when something horrible was happening somewhere in the world. That old family friend of yours is to be pitied.

When I finally decided I would rather die at Armageddon and lose whatever chance I might have of living in The New World rather than give THIS life I have NOW and the childhood of my kids over to an organization of men full of judgement, condemnation, rules, changing doctrine, dangerous doctrine, my fear and anxiety about it left me. I'll take my chances, thank you very much. Bring it on!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Like so many of the JWs they are mentally disillusioned from the Watchtower's corrupt commercial shenanigans.

Its alarming sometimes to see so many people stupefied by the WTS. published books and magazines.

A standing proof of the power of the printed word.

I guess the fear they monger has that effect on people, deluding their own critical thinking skills and instilling a measure of self-righteousness.

Sad to see so many people getting caught up in this man made venue of corruption.

This is religion folks take it or leave it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit