JW's attempt to sabotage a funeral was foiled (for now)

by TastingFreedom 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh, Tasting Freedom...so glad I checked in here tonight and heard the rest of the story...I was hesitant to ask on FB.

You are right to have righteous indignation of your brothers careless disregard and disrespect of anybody other than themselves.

Don't GET me started on JW funerals...I still am reeling over my mother's memorial a year ago...the speaker never bothered to talk to me prior to his speech/talk. Me, who was by her side every minute the last 3 days of her life to her last breath. He chose to use her memorial as an opportunity to plead to me from the platform to make "Jehovah's hear happy and come back to the truth." They think it's their right to force any situation to their own way. Even my PO brother was uncomfortable and apologized to me later for it.

TF, this is a difficult time, these things always are, and for some GD reason, JW's like to try and control these situations. Feel things out, try to keep peace where you can. Each situation is unique, and who knows what will happen next...funerals and families are like gun powder, anything can set a situation off. In my opinion, I would try to do what the your brother would have wanted, if you know, and show your other brother what respect and dignity is with our fellow man.

Let's get together soon. wha happened and I were yesterday and decided we should herd the SoCal ex JW's together and break some bread.

Love to you and Mrs TF...xx

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I will say that, in respecting Mom's wishes, I had to put up with the typical JW info-mercial funeral. The elder who she wanted to give the talk did make the point to me that it would not be any sort of eulogy. Since I knew it was my Mom's wish to have this kind of service, we just swallowed it. However, a day or two later, my siblings and I - plus a family friend that was nearly an extra sister to all of us - chartered a boat and scattered her ashes at sea. No JWs - just family. We took the opportunity to talk about our thoughts of Mom and what she meant to each of us. It was the best compromise under the situation.

My deepest condolences about your brother's death. It's never easy to lose a family member.

• carla
    carla

I'm sorry for your loss. This is not the first time and definitely will not be the last time we hear about jw's behaving so disgracefully at funerals. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's loss - your loss, too, since you had been reaching out to him...

But to hear about the behavior of your other brother and his wife?????

Good grief...

I wish you the best results in accomplishing what you want to. If I were in your shoes, I would contact SEVERAL pastors/ministers/priests in the area, and ask that SEVERAL of them give a service or memorial talk in his memory...

Keep the situation busy enough to crowd out the manipulative efforts of the Jehovah's Witnesses...

Best efforts and success to you. Zid

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

trolling for converts at a funeral is truly disgusting. my uncle died last summer killed in a motorcycle accident. they had a very touching service at the church he was a marine and was given miltary honors. as i was heading to my car i noticed my father giving his cousin a bible teach book! WTF, he was handing out his creepy bible literiture at his brothers funeral! i wanted to crawl under my car

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

...he has been "encouraging" my brother to give a talk about resurrection and to share with all worldly family what promises Jehovah's witnesses have. They see it as a perfect opportunity to witness to others and use it as an experience in the special campaign going on right now....I will not forgive my brother for not having the balls to stand up to his crazy JW wife, who is a true fundamentalist JW Taliban!

Sorry for the family's loss. Sadly, his crazy JW wife is who likely has the final say on the whole matter. If she wants him to have a traditional JW funeral, she can do so, even if his will dictates otherwise.

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

My mom and I just came back home after a bittersweet trip. Bitter because of the loss of a brother, but sweet because he was honored as human being, and reconnected with family.

I just wanted to report back that my mission was successful. My brother was given a decent christian funeral/buriel as he wanted. There were plenty of support from local Christian churches, it was actually overwhelming! There were no witnesses that could derail it, so that was great!

My mother who is a JW was there and was given plenty of support. I had prepared an eulogy to honor his memory, and it all went as expected.

Thanks again for all the nice words of support. You are all very sweet!

• yesidid
    yesidid

Delighted everything went well.

How did your brother-in-law react?

y

• satinka
    satinka

Hi TastingFreedom,

My mom and I just came back home after a bittersweet trip. Bitter because of the loss of a brother, but sweet because he was honored as human being, and reconnected with family. ... I just wanted to report back that my mission was successful. My brother was given a decent christian funeral/buriel as he wanted. There were plenty of support from local Christian churches, it was actually overwhelming! There were no witnesses that could derail it, so that was great!

I am sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolances. I'm glad to know things turned out how your brother would have wanted.

satinka

• ziddina
    ziddina

Again, so sorry to hear of your loss...

However, I am glad to hear that your brother was honored and not used as an excuse for the JW preaching agenda...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit