Homeschooling and JW children

by Pams girl 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

I begged my parents to homeschool me. Middle school was rough, I didn't want to go through high school. I even signed up to regular pioneer to kind of force them to do it. It was all left to me to do. I used a correspondance school where I took tests over the phone and mailed in assignments. I do regret that though, I'm socially inept. JW world would have made me that way anyway but homeschooling just made it that much worse. Plus, if I had been more rebellious and a better liar, high school might have been pretty awesome. That's one reason I signed up for classes at the community college, to learn some social skills. I do worry that my lame high school diploma will make it difficult to get into a good university, plus I have no SAT scores.

Our schools here are well above average, so I have no plans on homeschooling my daughter. But if there were a situation where I needed to, I would make sure she had plenty of interaction with her peer group. That's what was missing with my education.

• d
    d

Public strips your being and makes you part of the consumer corprate culture.Forcing you to conform. I went to public school, I hated it, You should Listen to John Taylor Gatoo talk about public schools.

http://youtu.be/8ogCc8ObiwQ

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

so this is an older thread but just wanted to add my experience. My JW step kid is being homeschooled starting middle school this year. I think the main rationale is twofold - her mom just loves having absolute control over everything, which I guess is more of a personal issue than a JW issue, and also to have control over what science is taught (or in this case, NOT taught). The school is a virtual (computer-based) school that seems pretty cool as far as having a fairly challenging curriculum and interesting assignments. She watches videos of the teachers and sometimes chats with them and the ohter students. So far so good, but the biggest thing is the ISOLATION. she spends almost all her time either at the KH or on the computer. She has some friends at the KH but has been forbidden to socialize with non-JW neighborhood kids or call her old school friends. Her JW friends don't live near her and she does not see them often. She sees all these TV shows taking place at school and feels sad about never getting to experience the social aspects of school.

Those are my biggest concerns: Social aspects and lack of science. I geuss we'll have to chip away at that independently ourselves. We have been "forbidden" from her mom to help with the science projects and teaching. Jeez, what a joke. But not a funny one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit