Has your anger turned to pity?

by journey-on 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Compassion....would be a better word for me!

I look at them and see myself many years ago....lost and misguided....my heart goes out to them no matter how SR they are.

Peace out.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It sounds to me like you made an emotional decision supported by the writings of those who truly are apostate that was later worsened by brothers you did not know how to respond, comfort, assist, or give you whatever you needed, but maybe I am wrong. The word "apostate" does carry a sharp sting and is sometimes assigned prematurely to those with genuine concerns. Unfortunately, some lack the spiritual qualifications to "reprove those who contradict" as the apostle Paul put it and it probably is in their best interest to steer clear of anything that smacks of apostasy. What you wrote in your letter borrows the language and reasoning used by apostates, but that doesn't necessarily make you one. I have studied with too many people who have read and relayed the same stuff from the web to be too put off by it. [LeavingWT], you went from A to C when you needed to go from A to Z. That is the reason why we warn our people so intensely against apostate literature, because from A to C apostates sometime sound right. You have to follow the flawed logic to the end to reveal the flaw. After the one elder gave you the response he did, you should have sought out the help of someone who could go beyond the surface. That's why we have traveling overseers and others. You could have called a mature friend in NY, someone with a really strong grasp of the scriptures. I imagine that that was hard while being called an apostate, so you instead went a different way. Or, maybe you examined everything that we believe and teach and found it to be utterly wrong, that there is no such thing as "truth", and that this life is all there is and our only hope is in the hands of ourselves, politicians, financial systems, and serendipity. I doubt it but, maybe you now view the Witnesses as a scourge on the planet that needs to be put out of existence as real apostates do. I'm not sure which, but I think that the latter would be worse. I am really sorry to hear that you made the choice the letter indicates and even more sorry to see that you have become embittered toward all of us. It is not too late to change your mind.

This person believes what they are saying. They have weighed their faith and somehow it came up positive. A phenomenon I likely will never fully understand.

• sabastious
    sabastious

As for the OP, pity is a temporary emotion and holds no lasting value. Pity is a stepping stone to compassion.

-Sab

• Curtains
    Curtains
    It has been a long journey but I have arrived at ‘acceptance’ without blame or recrimination.

I'd ultimately like be arrive at the above state of mind and remain in it because it is the most rewarding. I find I achieve a sort of live and let live attitude but then something bad happens around here amongst JWs that affects my family and people I know. xjws' experiences on JWN also keep the fires burning. ultimately though 'd like to arrive at a soley pitying/compassionate state.

• Curtains
    Curtains

sab

As for the OP, pity is a temporary emotion and holds no lasting value. Pity is a stepping stone to compassion.

-Sab

yes I was also thinking that there is a difference between pity and compassion but couldn't quite put my finger on it

• White Dove
    White Dove

Only for the children.

My anger has turned to disgust with the pretentious attitudes of the adults.

It'll move on as more time passes.

I tried to leave a couple times before the final exit.

Problem was my family. They'd come over almost every day and put on the pressure.

I wanted there to be another way to get paradise and see dead loved ones.

Hated that path.

I could only leave when I moved 1,000's of miles away from the in my face pressure to stay in it.

Guilt with fear kept me in only about 4 years, then it was proven that this wasn't the path.

What a relief!

• wobble
    wobble

Compassion is something I try to exercise toward whoever I meet, so JW's are not excluded.

I was angry at first, I had been lied to and my life had gone in the wrong direction because of that, for 58 bloody years, I had a right to be angry.

I still get angry about child abuse and muder by denying blood tranfusion, both are still an appalling scandal.

I really am getting to the point where I feel that the JW/WT cult is so insignificant that I would not think about it much, if it were not for coming here in the hope that what I say helps someone to make the break.

I like Nuggets comment about the GB, yes they may be captives of a concept and manipulated to a degree,but they are still culpable, because they know that the life they lead is not the life they ask the 7 million to lead, they know they are hypocrites at the very least . And if they don't know it is all alie, they should not be in charge because they are bordering on stupid.

• journey-on
    journey-on

My gosh, LT! Your friend's email has so much "hidden" condescension in it!! It's unbelievably arrogant. As brilliant as you are with words, you should reply back.

I have read the other responses and want very much to address a couple of your thoughts, but have to leave for now. Will return later in the day.

(Pity is one of those words with many layers of emotion attached to it, but I still think that's what I'm feeling.)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I can understand being upset with yourselves for being mislead and allowing yourselves to be mislead, but WHO are you angry with in the WT?

I don't get that, how can you be angry with someone for something YOU did ?

Could someone clear that up for me please?

LWT:

I successfully rescued ALL of my family from the cult. Therefore, I'm mostly left with Pity and Amusement.

Please, how did you do that? I am running out of options with my family...

• sd-7
    sd-7

"My anger outweighs my guilt."

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit