Apple employees from the LGBT community have posted a video for the It Gets Better project.

by whereami 16 Replies latest jw friends

• whereami
    whereami

I think this was an uplifting and courageous video made by Apple employees. BIG thumbs up to Apple for their courage in embracing their LGBT employees in this way.

As part of the It Gets Better campaign to end suicide among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered youth, employees at Apple have created a video with their stories about coming out and overcoming adversity, offering a rare glimpse into the personal lives of employees of the notoriously secretive company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYqsaJk_U8&feature=player_embedded

In recent years, Apple has been rated as the top "gay-friendly" tech company, according to one survey.

In 2008, the company made a rare political statement by donating $100,000 to the campaign opposing Proposition 8, a California measure that sought to ban gay marriage.

"Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8," the company said in a statement announcing the donation.

In January, a controversial report by Valleywag outed Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook as "the most powerful gay person in tech."

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Amazingly warm and heartfelt video. Thanks!

In recent years, Apple has been rated as the top "gay-friendly" tech company

IBM would have made a nice video like this one but, the shareholders didn't think LGBT was very PC

• the max
    the max

Im supposed to hate Gays, Thats easy for me I am straight, I cant begin to think how easy it is to hate you guys and ladys, and its endorsed, one of my friends is gay, he used to cuddle up with my wife and other peoples wives, they( husbands) all felt aggresive toward him, I felt free , I could go watch Football, they were kindred spirits, thats just the way we were created, they went shopping,I went to footy.

• unshackled
    unshackled

This is really good. Thanks for posting, whereami.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    one of my friends is gay, he used to cuddle up with my wife and other peoples wives, they( husbands) all felt aggresive toward him, I felt free , I could go watch Football, they were kindred spirits, thats just the way we were created, they went shopping,I went to footy.

max, this is the very same reason wealthy men in ancient times employed eunuchs to oversee and protect the harem. One of the biggest fears of a harem owner was that his seed might be polluted and made illegitimate by another man impregnating one of the wives. He really needed to be sure that each and every offspring was actually of his own seed. Employing a eunuch to protect the harem was ideal since there would be no chance of him impregnating one of the wives, or even wanting to.

According to Roman Law, Jewish Rabbis, and Jesus, there were three classifications of eunuchs in ancient times:

1. "Born eunuchs" were recognized by basically the same stereotypes we today employ to recognize a homosexual man.

2. a "man-made eunuch" (castrated just incase his sexual preference was uncertain to the master/harem owner)

3. and of course, the self-made eunuch who made himself that way for the sake of the kingdom, blah blah blah, abstinence as evidence of piety, basically.

(Matthew 19:12) 12 For there are eunuchs that were born such from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs that were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs that have made themselves eunuchs on account of the kingdom of the heavens. Let him that can make room for it make room for it.”

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

If I go gay... I will go ask a job at apple.... either that or if I am looking for two girlfriends :-)

PC: the bible is so wise uh?

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Excellent heartfelt and hopeful video. Bravo Apple. Makes me really consider getting one as my next computer

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you whereami for posting this life affirming video. The themes coming through are universal among those who have felt different from others around them.

Simply put, as a JW who was gay, I had no future. As an ex-JW who was gay, I had - and have - a future. It's as simple as that.

In my more recent years, I have tred to view with more understanding the way JWs responded when they found out I was gay. They were not mean, horrible people. They were loving and kind and yet at the same time, they were out of their depth in responding to me and my needs. Without meaning to, they left me feeling defective and condemned and without hope. I took steps to kill myself in my late teens and early twenties. As I say, I now try to understand the world back in the 1970s that responded to me as if I were sick and/or bad. Looking back, I am amazed at how resilient I have become. But what a way to learn resilience! I could have easily been one of the grim statistics. I made it - and I'm not quite sure how. Thanks again whereami for taking the time to post the video

• whereami
    whereami

^^^You're very welcome steve2.

We need more of this. Everyone needs to see and feel the pain and mental anguish people go through when a group off people are truly being persecuted for something as simple as being themselves and following their hearts.

These people are our neighbors, friends and family. They are human and have the ability to feel the same way eveyone else feels. It takes tremendous courage to be in a situation like this and to be able to believe in yourself and in humanity.

I admire and appreciate their strength.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

That was a nice video. Thank you for posting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit